RP80 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP80

Purchased from: Sounds Great

The sound from this pedal varies greatly. While the overdrive can be great, the sheer number of overdrive settings means there are bound to be a few duff ones. The chorus and delay are both very nice however, and make it easy to recreate songs by almost anyone, provided you read the manual and know how to change the rate of both. The expression pedal is a nice feature, but it rarely makes a big difference to your sound, and is best used as a volume pedal.

I play several styles of guitar, and the pedal always has something to suit whatever it is you want to do. However, if you want to stick to one kind of music, then this is really a waste, as it does not excel at any one thing, but is more of an all-rounder. I would therefore reccommend it to people Who just want to learn to play, and maybe write their own stuff, instead of people Who are in a band, and touring.

The pedal has lasted me almost 2 years now with no problems. It's sturdy, heavy and well built, and it will survive numerous accidents with ease. I wouldn't use a backup with it at a gig, although I'd likely prefer to use multiple, single effect pedals, as it is not really designed for Live use, and is more suited to private recording.

Because I had not been playing long when I first got the kit, I was obviously thrilled by it. I hooked it up and immediately I could make sounds that I didn't know guitars could create. The effects are perfect for a beginner, and it's easy to cycle through the effects. The 40 slots for your own effects are nice, but sometimes making them can be difficult. However, the manual is clear enough to get you going, and with time it becomes second nature.

brett-
    I guess the Whammy on this is different from the one on the RP 300A, because that is awful.
    Ibanezax372
    This pedal is absolutely disgusting. As soon as I plugged it in, the pre sets sounded horrid. After soem tweaking it still sounded fake. And I tweaked everything, built effects from the ground up and even worked with the EQ in it and on my amp. I could not get this thing to sound decent at all.
    Hanger 17
    DONT BUY IT! I got talked into believing that i needed one to get my playing in time, but the guy at the shop was a dickhead. Get a decent distortion pedal or a good wah cause this is terible. The wah is non-existant, Also the flange is alright ON CLEAN but everything else is crap. My pedal is broken after having it 6 months (and barely using it cause my amp sounded better) so im gonna take it back to the shop and see if they can do anything. Ive used it to record dome guitar straight into the computer but the distortion is so bad its not worth it. SO DONT BUY IT!
    mi2tom
    Got it, not bad i'd say, But keep the cabinet on all the time.
    Th3r3dFly
    yeah, many pre-sets are bad, but i like it because i can use it to single out the effects intead of buying a pedal solely for them. The single effects themselves aren't top-notch, but they work in case i need a little effects to fill in, mostly like the reverb, some wah, and the tremelo. Just don't solely rely on the presets if you get it.
    pings15
    it realy depends on your tweaking.. of course most multi effects have crappy presets that's why thy have the option to mix and match the effcts you like, got a digitech rp80 2 days ago and i used it right away in a gig it didnt let me down.. and i find the presets bad.. distortion? i dont use it coz i have separate one.. i use this for the modulations only but i checked them out, it does sound a bit fake but i edited it and now it sounds better..
    kradamek
    i bought this pedal and it just sux! the leds are burning out, the expression pedal failed and the buttons just collapesed in. i wouldnt trust anything on it. the interface is easy to get a hold of though and thats it.