RP80 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP80

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

I use two guitars: Ibanez GRG170DX and Ibanez AS73G. I play through a Crate GT30, and sometimes a Rocktron R80. There is some feedback on the higher gain settings, but nothing too bad..unless you have a distortion pedal at full distortion hooked up to it. The effects are bad, but aren't nothing amazing. Flanger, chorus, and phaser are pretty sweet, tremelo's not too bad, I hate the Wah and Ya stuff. And the distortion for the pedal sucks, regardless of what people say. The cleans are very nice, and work well but unless you are using a boost or distortion (distortion at 0, level full, tone full), you're not going to get quite the tone your looking for, although if set right, you can use the boost pedal as a solo-option. I can manage the following band sounds: Metallica, Pantera, As I Lay Dying, Oasis, Silverstein, Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Lenny Kravitz, ACDC, Guns N' Roses, Breaking Benjamin, The Strokes, The Ramones, Weezer, Green Day, MXPX, Senses Fail, Avenged Sevenfold, Rush, and some others that I seem to be forgetting.

I play basically anything that's not country/rap/hip-hop/rap rock. It's a pretty good match for the versatility that my playing requires. I've "played" for three years but only 1.5 years have been really serious. I also own a Boss DS-2, which is a great distortion pedal; and a good boost pedal for solos on this, since it has a solo-setting. I wish I could've went to Guitar Center before to try it out; I suggest that if you consider anything, try it out at guitar center first! I probably would've bought a Korg or Zoom then, but this works just as well. If it were stolen, I wouldn't buy it again, not saying it's bad, but I'd definitely save up for something like a Line 6 Pocket POD, which I know is an awesome little Machine. Overall: good pedal for the price, little annoying at times, but still good. Better for beginners, higher-skilled players might as well save for the Pocket POD.

I've had it for a year, with no problems at all other than the fact that my feet are too big for the small footswitches. I've gigged with it, at Battle of the bands, good sound, bad mistake to Switch presets in-song. So, if you plan to gig, make sure that you have the sound you want, and if you have distortion and cleans with an effect, make sure you have a separate distortion pedal, and set the effect to the expression pedal, so you don't have to switch presets. Besides the mistakes I made, very dependable/sturdy. I'd gig without a backup, as long as I had no other pedal, or had it AC powered.

Alright, as many will say this is a "beginner's pedal", but it's not only limited to that, I'd say that it could well be used in gigs. The sounds are not that bad for the price, and the fact that this is the lesser half of the RP-series. It's not comparable to a Boss GT-8 (which is utterly amazing), but is still good for what it's supposed to do: effects and modulations. Most of the presets suck, so don't expect them to be anything great. It's easier to make your own instead of messing around presets. And all this, of course, is easily laid down in the manual that comes with it.