RP80 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP80

Purchased from: Griffith's Guitar Works

I have been running an Austin AU962AB Electric guitar through this pedal into a Crate BT1000 Bass Amp. It has so far worked for every application that I need it for. One of the downsides is that some of the distortions give a lot of feedback, even when your hand is on the strings. Most of the effects work well, except the wah setting. This is the weakest effect in this pedal, and the expression pedal on this board is a little small, thus hindering people, such as me, Who have larger feet. For the most part it is possible to get the tones of your favorite artists and songs, such as Slash's sound in Sweet Child 'O Mine and other songs like Enter Sandman.

This pedal is useful for pretty much every kind of music, be it from metal to blues. I have been playing for just over 4 years, and this has been the only effects pedal I have ever needed. I love the ease of use of this pedal. If something happened to it I would most likely purchase another, even just to fool around with. I think that the DigiTech RP80 is one of the best pedals available for people on lower budgets, like myself.

Though this pedal is made out of mainly plastic, it is very sturdy. It can withstand the changing of effects to a large degree of force, though I wouldn't recommend dropping a hammer on it. Or jumping on it. I can depend on this pedal, and I feel perfectly fine going to a gig without a backup for this pedal.

First of all, the RP80 is a great multi-effects guitar pedal for beginners and those Who want something to mess around with. Most of the 40 presets are fun to play with, especially when you want to mix a song up. Then you have the 40 user settings. Find a preset that you like but is missing something? It is as easy as hitting the edit button to make it the way you like it. The effects are very easy to work with, though it can take a while to get the sound that you want. You can also move your patches so that you just need to hit one of the change buttoms to move to your next favorite setting. The manual for the RP80 was very helpful, as it describes what each effect does and is for.

SuperSage666
    I have an old dirt cheep (Abilene) strat copy that I installed a humbucker in the centre pickup position and wired it so as to be able to have it in or out of phase with the other pickups to get a jazzy cancellation effect. I have been playing guitar on and off for about 30 years and had been in and out of a couple of bands in that time. My best guitar was a $50 unknown brand that I put a fat SD pickup in the bridge position with an old Fender copy valve amp andused to get a good Hendrix sound from that combo. After that I had a Washburn solid body unit that was far too clean for my liking. I sold it and the valve amp at a great financial loss. I am now only a hobby guitarist and have a small Peavey practice amp which has a ceramic valve front end and it sounds great. I have been playing around with the RP-80 with some success. As mentioned in this forum by many. It is not good for gigs, though I did program some side by side combinations so I could switch quickly back between rythm and solo, but if you have big feet or wide shoes, FORGET IT. I had in the past used seperate pedals for gigs and it was a nightmare getting those set up properly for the first few weeks of doing gigs. It is nice to have all the combinations set right in a single click of the foot. I found the wah on the RP-80 sucks, especially compared to the Hendrix wah I had used. The distortion is a little poorer than my seperate unit. But the chorus is an improvement over my chorus box and much easier to set up. Though I miss the Hendrix wah pedal, overall I enjoy using and sometimes abusing the RP-80. Sagey :-
    TheMainSequence
    i have one and i like it just fine
    kradamek wrote: i bought this pedal and it just sux! the leds are burning out, the expression pedal failed and the buttons just collapesed in. i wouldnt trust anything on it. the interface is easy to get a hold of though and thats it.
    grimbear74100
    1. you need a decent tube amp and a single coil guitar for this pedal (49 EUROs at Thomann) to sound great. 2. you have to act professional and organize your setting sets into correct order at a gig to avoid stepping through the sets. 3. you should use it as just another fx pedal in the line: EQ, noise gate, tremolo and chorus are fine +. Wah and Ya whatever are shitty. Delay is nice, but you need to use the ridiculous expression pedal (too small, too close to the knobs) here for live work. Amp simulation - fuzz - overdrive is so-so. There are better ones.
    awsone3
    i bought this pedal last summer and the first time i plugged it in i was amazed. i was so happy with the presets that were already on there. i later learned that i could tweak them and the way to tweaking them so that they actually obtain the sound youre looking for is to listen to the sound you want, choose the amp model, put whatever effects you have on it, and what i dont think maost people realize is how much the eq tweaks the sound. I do agree that the wah isnt what it could be and the ya isnt very useful at all. this pedal is capable of about 99.999% of sounds you could ever want. I do agree with grimbear74100 on the fact that you need to strategically organize your presets. The only thing that i really wish that this pedal was capable of doing was the ability to run a chorus and a modulation at the same time so i could really match that eddie van halen sound. this pedal is my life. i wouldnt even want to play my guitar without it.
    uvq
    the second review said you cant get a metallica distortion, try the rectifier sound. its good but, its nothing compared to a marshall.