RP80 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP80

I am using Prefix 42 and 64 with a Schecter Diamond series guitar, through a Marshall 30 watt. It sounds like early Metallica stuff, stuff from Master Of Puppets. The metal sound is great, but sorta "Tinny". a lot of prefixes, don't even seem like they could be used if your life depended on it like prefix 47, it sounds like a chorus of dying cats. The sound is almost always powerful, but at times, when using the Buckethead-like reverb, you have to turn up your volume alot. You can get sounds that sound like Kirk Hammett, James Hetfield, Eric Clapton, Lynrd Skynrd, Buckethead, but it depends on how you specifically use each setting. And I assure you, I've tried desperately to make it sound like AC/DC, and you just cannot. Aside from, 47 a lot of the settings are nice, but some just sound SO muffled and strangled, I don't see how they could possibly be used. Prefix 42 sound very metal, but an annoying reverb is somehow on it.64 is great metal, along with 24. It has a Wah-Wah, but mine was Busted when I got it, I'm not sure how, I just could not access the "Wah". So watch out for that, try it out first.

I play Classic Rock and Hard rock to Metal stuff. It gets Metallica's sound pretty well, even the sound of the sitar on "Wherever I May Roam". It's pretty hard to get a classic rock sound, so you usually have to go use a metal prefix, witch overall makes the songs way to screechy. I have been playing a little over a year now, and I know a Boss DS-1, witch sucks compared to this. I like my Boss one, but it seems only good if I had a pedal board and 40 other pedals. I wish I could have asked what it was made out of, it's made pretty cheap. The sound sounds heavy, the item not. I already have a ton of scracthes on it. If it were stolen, and I have alittle bit more money, I would buy an RP90 or higher, but only if I lost it. My favorite feature is probably the prefixes from 42-45. On 43 you can do the intro to "Enter Sandman" then quickly go to 42 for the Distortion. And 45 is like playing an Electric-accoustic, it sounds very basic, very beautiful. An I swear to god, 43 sounds the same as the guitars used on "One". It sounds like your Kirk, it's amazing. But I hate that my Expressions pedal, as they call it, doesnt't work. And I really wished it worked, I need it for the "Enter Sandman" solo. I would say that the RP80 is a great beginners pedal, and is great if you wont have a lot others. Editing the sound is cool, but after a while it gets old. it's the only thing I can use right now, and I'm not using my Boss because, it sounds like crapola. It is a lot better than a lot of cheap Boss pedals, but I'm not sure if it could hold out on more expensive, higher quality ones.

I can depend on it quite a bit, just not the "Oh, I gotta go run and turn up my volume for this setting" I would have backup, just In case, but then again, you should always have backup. But, if you wah-wah doesnt't work, like on mine. You probably wont be able to depend on the wah.

This pedal has some pretty good settings, And is quit easy to find a "base" for your sound. There are 80, as the name suggests, prefixes. There are tons of ways to edit a prefix, like being able to make a metal sounding prefix, to sound like a metal-flanger. The Manual is pretty nice, except is tells you things in one big mess, it doesnt't even it out, so it feels like you have a lot to read. The RP80 is the fourth in it's series.