RP90 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP90

Digitech's contemporary RP line has really great sound from the chip it uses for all units, from the bottom end to the top. I've had these by the same brand before and they keep getting better. I use it mostly with a PRS mahogany guitar and a Fender 212 100W amp. The results rock! The modulating effects I find are as good as individual stomp boxes and the reverb is Lexicon, so really good, although I prefer the one on my Fender amp to jam so I only use it to record. The main improvement I find compared to previous DigiTech lines, are the amp modelling settings. As many do, I used to automatically discard multi-effects distortions as cardboard crap, but this unit made me completely change my mind. My particular favorites are the Fender Twin Reverb (I'm a big Fender amp fan) for cleans and slight breakup, and the Marshall JCM 800 for a classic rock type distortion. The Mesa dual rect is good for metal or hard rock. The rest kinda suck, like the Vox and Matchless, but I'm not too familiar with those amps so I'm not sure if the DigiTech has done them poorly or if I would have disliked the real amp in the first place. The stomp boxes all kinda suck too, but I have tried most of the real ones and came to the conclusion long ago that I wasn't into individual distortion stomp boxes. They just sound fuzzy and fake to me. I'm actually not really big into effects and only use a bit of chorus, flange and delay sometimes. So this box to me is most valuable as a middle man with my amp for live playing or a recording/practicing. Live I like the noise gate, which works quite well, and the Compressor to tame my amp. The tuner also works well and is really practical for live tuning between songs. Also the drum Machine is great for home practicing.

I play classic rock, blues, some jazz, funk and reggae. I can find sounds that fit all these genres. Been playing about 15 years and with it I've used a PRS mahogany solidbody with it (the one that responds the best to it), an Ibanez jazzbox which also works well, a Washburn dreadnought Acoustic with a Seymour Duncan soundhole pickup (works reasonably well) and a classical with a contact pickup, which I have yet to get to work the way I had hoped, with any equipment. Amplifying a classical is just really hard. If this DigiTech were lost or stolen I'd but another from the same line immediately or try a competing brand like Korg or Line 6. I can't say how this compares to those but I expect it holds its own. I do know it is far superior to a Zoom. But in general, years ago these multi-effects devices sounded really fake so I was a guitar straight to amp guy for the longest time, until I gave them another chance recently and wow, what a change. They've advanced so much that I wouldn't be surprise if in a few years these become the norm, even for pros. I challenge anybody to tell the difference on one of my recordings with the Fender Twin on slight breakup and the real amp. I'm betting they can't, cause I can't.

So far it hasn't failed. But I treat it delicately because it has a plastic housing. I've gigged with it with no issues but I would be careful with it. By no means should you really stomp on it if you want it to last. But if you're aware of this and don't need to jump around wildly on stage while hitting the footswitch you'll be fine. Just tap lightly the button.

This is an excellent multi-effects pedal, the best I've ever had. If you haven't used a multi-effects stompbox before it might seem complex because they all are for the inexperienced. But if you've had one before, this baby is really easy and intuitive to use.

Romper Stomper
    Just adjust the wah effect, you adjust 2 settings, the hi end and bottom end, if you leave it 0-99 it gives you a huge werid range. I leave it on 0-30 and it sounds great.