RPx400 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RPx400

I play a Jackson with Seymour Duncs and monitor everything through AKG headphones. All the effects are great quality and can be modified to suit your taste. The stock "Artist" sounds are really well built. My setup: Guitar and headphones plug into the back of the RPx400 then the RPx400 plugs into USB port on the computer which routes the sound to the X-Edit Software(Onscreen Guitar Effects Manipulation) and then off to ProTracks Software for recording. Hit the "Drums" button on the RPx floor proceesor and start jammin! The Drums are kinda cheesy sounding(I've heard worse), but they will keep your rhythm in time and you can change tempo and style. Afterall, it isn't called the RPx Drum Machine, but this is where ProTracks comes in. You can use any drum loop you can get your hands on and lay drum tracks all day long! Good ones that eliminate expensive drum machines.

10 years ago I used to play all kinds of intruments and write music in my own mini 4-Track rec studio to cassette. I recently got back into it and researched the new world of recording "software". This stuff is amazing! Better quality and incredible manipulation of music tracks. RPx400, headphones, guitar and computer. Period. If you ask me, DigiTech is selling you an awesome effects processor and giving you the educational gift of ProTracks and MIDI-software recording. If you're just looking for an effects pedal, do yourself a favor and add a couple bucks more, get this unit and an eye opening experience! Well worth it. Side note: I gave the "ease of use" a "3" because the ProTracks manual is kinda vague and you have to go snoop around on the internet for answers. I gave the "sound rating" a "4" because I occasionally hear a static sound from my guitar when the strings are at the end of their tone (This could be my guitar or some interference though. Still not sure). Also, they say it can be used on a lot of Windows platforms (98SE, WinXP etc.) but be advised that I am somewhat of a computer geek and recommend Win2000pro for any high end software as it is much, MUCH more stable than any other Windows product.

Can I depend on it? Easily. It's a tough, amazing all-in-one, versitile unit.

Right out of the box it sounds great! Creating your own effects is very comprehensive and simple to do once you load the computer interface software. The effects can then be saved back to the floor processor and used, sans computer, on stage. Built-in effects are fun to play with too! The unit comes with a DigiTech manual and a ProTracks (by Cakewalk) manual. Both are pretty good, but DigiTech seems to offer more support for ProTracks than Cakewalk does. It's like Cakewalk wants nothing to do with this venture or something, which is too bad because it's an excellent recording software with a lot to learn with great rewards.