Scott Ian Black-13 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Scott Ian Black-13

I'm using an Ibanez GAX75 with a 50 watt Laney Hardcore amp, and I have it on a completely clean tone, the pedal does everything. There are 7 set tones, which you can manipulate as you choose, with 12:00 on the treble and bass knobs being the tone that Scott himself uses. It's really simple to sound exactly like Anthrax. I feel that having 7 effects is slightly pointless, as most of them sound very similar, so I tend to stick to the "I Am The Law" and the "Madhouse" effects. The 'Finale' effect is good, but you cannot make the delay just stay at the same tone, it always either goes up or down as it fades, which is a little annoying, and you can't switch out of the effect to another mid playing as it is changeable by knobs, so I ust turn it off and use my Tubescreamer when I want a different effect mid song. There is an output specifically for Mixers, so you can use this pedal in the studio and get the exact tone you desire and not a slightly reduced quality that you may get otherwise. The pedal is silent when it is turned on and you are not playing, which is a big change from my old DOD Death Metal pedal which was just as noisy when you werent playing as when you were. I'm rating this as 9 as I feel that although the tone is perfect, you really don't need to have 7 settings of effects.

I play all metal and this effect is perfect. Of the other metal distorion pedal I have tried this is by far the best. I got it on sale on www.gak.co.uk and it was 30 off. I also play with Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer and it really complements the tone I get on this pedal. When this arrived I loved how DigiTech had given you extra things in the box to go with the pedal, including the power pack, a small case to put the pedal in so it doesnt't get damaged, and a scott Ian Pick (I already had one from seeing Anthrax live that I caught, but I can actually play with this one). As well as that, the battery is not placed in an exterior place as with most effects, it is infact underneath the footswitch, and is easily accessable by putting the end of your jack on a button type thing on the side of the pedal, it sounds odd, but I really like it. I chose this as Scott Ian is a very influential musician and I love playing thrashy metal, so this seemed ideal. I just love this pedal.

The pedal is new so I don't know yet if it is durable, but it seems reliable enough, it came with a electric plug so you don't need to use batteries for it. The casing is all metal and it looks solid. I can see that I will be able to gig without a backup for it.

I love this pedal, it's really simple to use, the 7 preset tones (of classic Scott Ian songs) are changable by one knob, and then 2 other knobs are used for changing bass or treble ammounts on those pre-set tones. It couldn't be easier. It came with a manual that explains how to work everything, which to be fair you don't even need.

Slaytanic1986
    yeah, just find a tone that is similar on the pre-set sounds, then adjust the bass and treble accordingly, you should get pretty close for anything you want