Scott Ian Black-13 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Scott Ian Black-13

This pedal is excellent. 6 different types of distortion, but I was surprised to find all of them were pretty unique. I am a big Anthrax/Scott Ian fan and that was a big factor in buying this pedal. I use this for the most part through my Crate Powerblock though a Crate GT412 cabinet, and I've never been let down by the tone of it. One great attribute is that it's much quiter than my Boss MT-2 Metal Zone while I'm not playing, literally almost silent. It's even got a mixer out for easy recording. This thing will cover any kind of metal you can think of, from old school thrash to the new school of Trivium, Bullet for My valentine, etc. My only gripe about this pedal is they could've really done without the "Finale" tone. It's pretty much useless as just a delay, and you can't change the pitch like with a wah pedal or Whammy while playing. Other than that it's atleast fun to make cool noises with from time to time.

I use this to mostly play heavy metal/trash with my band. It hasn't quite taken over as my main pedal, but I do use it on about half of our set. It's not super versitile in the means of being able to play blues or classic rock with it, seeing as how the tones are all modeled from Anthrax/SOD songs. It's made and advertised for the metal players, and it does it's job very well. If it broke I'd buy a new one in a heartbeat.

This pedal is a pretty solid all metal construction. It's just as sturdy as any Boss pedal. I've already dropped it a couple times and it's been stomped on and kicked around quite a bit and still holding up strong. All the jacks are sturdy and it's got the no slip rubberized bottom and stomp pad. Also, one cool sode note, the LED is super bright, and since the pedal is chromed/faux chromed, the thing practically lights up like a christmas tree, so you can very easy tell when it's on in a dark club.

First off this pedal is extremely easy to use. It's set up like just about any other stompbox. It has level, bass, treble, and effect seetings, 1 input and 2 outputs (1 amp out, 1 mixer out). The 6 of the 7 effects are straight distortion, while the 7th is distortion, pitch shift, and delay. Came with a power adapter which is nice, a Scott Ian signature pick, and a traveling case so it doesn't get knocked around when traveling I guess. I just wish there was a mid tone control, but it's not bad since Scott scoops all his mids anyway.

GMPX
    I got a used one of these off Ebay, it's a killer distortion pedal and I love it, but the 'Finale' effect is useless, they should have allowed the delay and pitch shift to be shut off. the other annoying thing is the output level between effects is not consistant, so some appear louder than others as you switch. But otherwsie the tones are spot on to the Scott's sounds, esp the S.O.D tone, wow!
    Josola
    Dude you paid 89 pounds for this but cos UG is an American website it converted it to dollars
    Archmosh
    i remember wanting to buy a distortion pedal (and i never heard of the 13 i even had never listened to anthrax) and i thought it looked cool so i tested it everything at max (model seven) and i was like what the hell? and later i found out its a model so i tried some shit and i liked it so i bought it. my fav mode is currently model 3 control 2 - 11 control 1 - 5 and volume at max of course my opinion. this pedal rocks!! 8/10 cheers. Archmosh
    JBailey23
    i got mine from a friend of mine for 30 bucks...a grade A steal in my opinion. I use it for jamming and practicing and whatnot by plugging into a PA instead of lugging an amp around. The thing is (thru my setup) its just so high pitched. Mainly because i have a really good clean tone dialed in and i dont want to sacrifice it. Other than that the distortion on the first 2 settings are amazing, I love it. (the mirror finish is pimp too.)