Screamin' Blues review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Screamin' Blues

Purchased from: eBay

It sounds great, and as the name suggests, it can really scream. I use it with my Gibson Faded V, a Fender Vibroverb amp or sometimes a little Marshall, and it always sounds great. I play a lot of classic rock, and I've found that the pedal works great forgetting a Jimmy Page sound (everything turned up), a Richie Blackmore sound (high and low at 5, gain at 8) or a very authentic Michael Schenker sound (high up, low down, gain very high up). To really make it scream, I combine it with a Crybaby at about three quarter tilt. What the manual describes as a "Screamin' Lead" effect (low at 4, high at 10, gain at 10) is particularly good. Think "solo to Spanish Castle Magic". Yes, it's that good.

I play classic rock, punk (real Ramones-style punk), classic metal (Judas Priest stuff), blues and Grunge. The pedal works well for everything except particularly heavy Grunge, so yes it's a good match. I've been playing quite awhile now, and I've got a Gibson Faded V, a Fender Stratocaster and an Epiphone Hummingbird. My pedals are a very old (early '80s) MXR distortion pedal, a Dunlop Crybaby, and a DigiTech DigiDelay. I'm not really a big fan of pedals, and I normally use three at the most. It's unlikely that it would get stolen (it weighs a ton and is currently afixed to my pedal board) or lost (it's electric blue and attached to a board) but I would probably get another one if it was. However, I wish it had a mid control, so that I could cut all the mids out.

I've played with it Live loads of times, and I'll admit that it has screwed up once. I was there, halfway through Burn when suddenly my guitar sounded all clean. Changed the battery, still clean. Turned out that when I'd literally jumped on it during Kickstart My Heart I'd knocked the circuit board loose. But that was quite easy to fix. I always use a backup for everything, and I back this up with a very old MXR pedal which is what I used to use before I got this.

It's a really simple to use pedal, single effects, clearly labelled control knobs and a big enough stomp pad that you don't have to think about treading on it. The manual that it came with was quite handy, but I'd already used a few DigiTech pedals, so nothing new really. And I love the battery compartment, because you can change batteries really quickly, so if it died while playing Live it wouldn't be the end of the world.

AndyDevious
    ive just got a screamin blues n its a great pedal but when i set it up with my wah pedal n tuner it only works if its got the guitar straight into it n wont even switch on if my tuner or wah are in front of it? is this bad n should i send it back??