The Weapon review by DigiTech

DigiTech: The Weapon

Purchased from: www.guitartek.co.uk

I'm playing this through a shitty Fender amp and Strat and the tone the pedal produces is still astounding. You get seven settings with the pedal. 1. Heavy Distortion - is great foir a really chunky sound, drop D riffs from artists such as tool and ratm are good on this. As well as a live Metallica vibe. It's marvellous. 2. Light Distortion - for lighter distorted songs obviously. I use it as a sort of crunch setting for blues and jazz. Chuck Berry's Johnny B Goode sounds great on this one. Just enough crunch to give it a good bluesy vibe. 3. Phaser (which can ramp up to distortion but more on the brilliance of this effect later) - now this is a real treat. Not only do you get anawesome phaser effect but holding the pedal down after selecting it slowly ramps up a distortion sound in the back ground. So the phaser sound swells into a briliant heavy tone. The knobs control the loudness of the distortion and how quickly it comes in. 4. Auto Wah - is an autowah which basically means the harder you strike the string the more of a wah sound you get. Pretty simple really. Useful but not as good as the real deal. 5. Ocatave Shifter - is an octave shifter. Neve really got the point of this unless your looking into some crazy ratm solos. Personally I just use it to produce a bass sound and take the piss. 6. Sitar Simulator - sitar effect. This sounds superb. Its hailed as the most realistic sitar simuilator ever and Im inclined to agree. Finally you can do the intro to wherever I may Roam justice. 7. Metal Master Distortion - metal master settings. Quite simply a slightly simplified version of digitechs metal master pedal which offers a whole new range of tones.

Personally I play a lot of rock, blues and metal. I've been playing for coming up to a year and this pedal has helped me develop my tone ten fold. I have no regrets over the buy. Granted it is quite an expensive piece of kit considering it's a stomp box but it is undoubtably one of the best out there today. If it were lost or stolen I would hunt down the thief, remove his kidneys, eat one and sell the other to replace the pedal. Damn you thieves! Favourite feature is probably the distortion (natch) or phaser. It's a great set of sounds. It's great, buy one!

This is a pedal that can definately be depended on. Well, I've only had it a few months but I dont see anything going wrong. The only fault I can find is that the gap under the pedal is just big enough for a guitar wire to slot under and thus stop you from pushing it down. This is down to user fault though obviously. Just be careful when gigging so you dont fluff up that all important timing.

First things first, this is a Dan Donegan sig pedal but don't be put off. As with most of Didgitech's stomp boxes its extremely simple to use. In fact I'd go as far to say that breathing is more difficult. It comes with four knobs, one volume, two EQ's and one selector. The manual that comes with it explains everything and gives advice on how to achieve Dan's tone (If that's your thing) personally though I just mess around and try to find a tone of my own. Anyway its very easy.