The Weapon review by DigiTech

DigiTech: The Weapon

Purchased from: Mary's Music Store

I used it with a 45-watt Marshall and an Epiphone Les Paul with custom humbuckers, and with the effects on, it sounded great. Feedback is minimal on the distortion settings and basically nonexistant on the octave shifter, sitar simulator, and phaser. My main complaint here is that when you try to bypass the effects, your sound gets a bit chopped up if you try to play loud, especially on neck pickups. Do not try to run a signal through this after something like an EQ or acoustic simulator, it will destroy the tone, and as far as running effects through before this, try to keep the level to a minimal so the signal stays cleaner afterward. Just look at the other reviews for the sound effects. And I'm going to have to agree with whoever said that setting 2 is a waste. That setting is supposed to be for medium distortion. Just turn your volume down half way, keep it on distortion 1, and you basically get the same sound.

I use this pedal for a lot of rock and metal guitar playing. I also own DigiTech's DF-7, and I must say that The Weapon has much easier to set and better sounding distortions. I wish I had checked how clean the signal stays going through it before I bought, though. I guess that's why my music store has a shelf of Bosses running through each other into one amp, while the DigiTech shelf only runs three at a time. If it were to be stolen, I think I'd buy it again.

This pedal has yet to fail on me. But if you have a longer than three hour show, I wouldn't suggest trying to power it with a 9V. It can last up to 5 or 6, but I wouldn't want to risk it. As far as durability, well, my friend had one. He dropped it down a flight of cement stairs, after which it tumbled down a rocky hill, went over some more cement stairs, went over really big rocks, and into a river. (music store was next to the river, and the moron wanted to show off his own). Anyways, we retrieved it, dried it out, and it still sounds as good as mine. So yeah, it's durable (please don't try that with yours if you get/have one. I can't guarentee that everybody will be as lucky).

The effects are amazingly easy to use. You don't need the manual for anything except the ramp to full distortion on the third setting. On the distortions, control 1 and 2 are a high and low band EQ, respectively. On the third, control 1 is phaser amount and control 2 is ramp to distortion time. Hold the pedal down for 2 seconds after it's already on to start the ramp to distortion. Setting 4 auto-wah, well, I'm not sure. I know how to get the sound I want, but I'm not sure what each does. Read the manual fully for that like I should have. On the fifth setting, control is a dry/wet signal balance, and control 2 is octave selection (2 below, 1 below, 1 above, 2 above). On the sixth, control 1 is reverb and 2 is fret buzz (I think, once again). Even a complete know-nothing to the world of guitar effects can figure out this one.

Killbait06
    i have a fender G-Dec amp, would getting this be a waste of time? is this pedal going to have effects and sounds that the G-Dec can't use?
    JakdOnCrack
    Anyone else have an issue with the distortion being very tinny? It sounded great when I got it, but now it seems like the distortion has absolutely no low end to it, no matter what I do, and regardless of amp or guitar. It's strange, because only settings 1, 2, and 7 are like this. The distortion on 3 on the phaser sounds fine. Still worth the buy though. Great phaser, and i absolutely LOVE the Sitar effect.
    brandonvrsn
    pedal is great, every setting works amazing except for 3, phaser to distortion. once the distortion kicks in there is a horrible squeal that comes from my amp when i'm not playing, but it's only on this setting, distortion on other settings is fine. also agree with JakdOnCrack, distortion has no bottom end to it at all on the 1,2 and 7th positions on the pedal. sounds like a high mid and treble mass of noise, but mine was used so i don't know why it's like this... any one else no the problem?
    fenne50
    hey i bought one three years ago and i was playing with it for over 2 years then earlier this year i go to play and it wont work!!!!! and everything is the same as i left it. i took it to good n loud and they told me they cant do anything but they told me to look for a pedal technician or something like that. any help or comments would be amazing cause i really miss playing on it.