Whammy review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Whammy

Purchased from: Guitartek.com

With this pedal you get 26 different effects (give or take 2/3 as some overlap) the good news is that with the effects on or off your volume isn't affected. Various effects include 2/1 octaves up or down and 3 octaves down in the Dive Bomb setting. You can drop all the strings down up to to steps digitally (this is done by altering the signal, if you turn your amp down, depress the pedal and stum, you can hear your own strings in standard E but the signal from the pickups is taken down 2 semitones) you also get various harmony effects, making your guitar sound like it has someone else playing (very useful for solos if you are by yourself in a band). The effects sound great, but there is a limited range of useful and great sounds, bear in mind this is not a wah wah or volume pedal, call me stupid but when I ordered it I was under the impression that it provided some wah aswell as being a volume pedal when the effects are turned off. Having said that you can exactly mimic some great bands, especially if you are a fan of Muse (Newborn and Sunburn solos), Rage Against The Machine (anything is just a great excuse to listen to Rage) or Audioslave (Like A Stone solo). So effects are better than others and I have pretty much picked the ones that sound great (2+1 octv up, 1 octv down, drop tune, and harmonised 5th). If you chose to use this pedal live be aware you can only use one effect per song (unless your foot is incredibly well controlled or you have enough money to buy an external midi controller [a devise which allows you to select a different effect without touching the pedal]). At the end of the day all of the effects sound great, most harmonising effects you wont use but it really does deliver an amazing sound.

I've been playing for over 3 years now, and I thought it was time to get myself some decent FX. I heard about this when I first heard the solos for Hysteria at Earls Court in December last year. Everything was pushed 2 octaves up and it took me ages to find out what effect did it. Personally I would say if you love Tom Morello or Matt Bellamy enough that you love their songs and they strongly inspire your songs then you should get this pedal. If you don't know who either of those people are - don't bother (if you only know one start listening to the other). If it were stolen at a gig I don't think I would buy another one, purely on the basis that it is missing a few other essential pedal FX such as wah and volume (it comes it Ferrari red so it's pretty difficult for anyone to run off with it without it being seen).

Haven't gigged with it so far, but it's designed to be trodden on so I expect it would stand the test of time.

Really easy, master on off switch, pedal just like a wah pedal and a rotating knob to select the effect (to sensitive to be changed by a foot).