Whammy review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Whammy

Purchased from: Marshall Music

I am using a Godin LGX III and a traynor tube amp. Although the Whammy wasn't the best sounding on my solid-state, I would still recomend this pedal to anyone without a tube amp, as long as it had a distortion channel. As I said before, the sound on this pedal was exelent on a tube amp, so if you have a tube the tone should be smooth on the clean and dirty channel. The pedal is nearly noisless with my two humbuckers, but when I swithched it to my middle single coil Pick up, the pedal gave a slight hum, sounding similar to strat, but nothing to fret over. Overall, the sound is good. There are three groups of preset effects on this pedal. Whammy, harmony, and detune. Whammy basically shifts your pitch up or down one or two octaves, and has a "dive bomb" setting, dropping the pitch three ocates. Dive bomb will definatley test the lows of your amp, but sounds quite athentic. Harmony adds intervals to your current pitch, anywhere from up or down a second to up or down an octave. The harmony setting sounds very good on each amp, as well as each channel. Detune takes your current pitch, makes a copy of it, shits the pitch down a certain amount, and plays it simualtaneously with the original pitch. There are two settings in Detune, shallow and deep. Shallow is very subtle, while deep is a little more drastic. Detune is a simple effect, but I think it would be effective when ending a song or making a transition.

I play everything from jazz, to Led Zeppelin, to Steve Vai, and I use the Whammy for rock stuff like Vai. It is a pretty good match for rock, and Vai uses one himself. I have been playing for two years, and this pedal is great for me to play with my band or just mess around with on my own. There aren't very many other pitch-shifting padals on the market with all the features of the Whammy, so I couldn't compare it to anything else I know of. If someone stole this pedal or I lost it I would probably buy a new one if I had the cash.

I haven't had this pedal that long, but it seems quite strong and would probably be quite endurent on the road. DigiTech says they "strengthened the rugged chasis to endure the perils of the stage better." When touching the pedal, you can just tell it is durable. I would use this at gig without a backup because the Whammy comes with an AC adapter to power it.

I bought a DigiTech Whammy pedal a little while ago, and tried it out and got a feel for it. When I first got it, I tried it with my solid-state Fender 30 watt amp, and was not entirely pleased with the sound I got on the clean channel. It sounded somewhat digital and had an almost tingy tone. On the distortion channel, the pedal sounded much better and was more of what I had expected. I then tried the pedal out with my 80 watt Yorkville Traynor tube amp, and was extremely impressed. On the clean channel, the pedal jumped octaves smoothly and the "harmony" part of the pedal sounded very good. On the dirty channel, the pedal had an even better tone, not tinny or cheap like it was on the solid-state. The manual that came with this pedal was decent, describing each feature in a brief few sentences, and also had a section showing how to properly plug in the pedal. I needed to reset the pedal and "calibrate" it a few times, which basically resets the pitch of the pedal so that when it is in normal position, the pitch of the note coming out of your amp matches the correct pitch of your guitar. No worries, how to do this is all in the manual, and if you have any trouble at all, there is a section in the back of it similar to "troubleshooting."