Whammy review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Whammy

Purchased from: Steve's Music

I am currently using a Squier Stratocaster and a Peavey Rage 158 with the Whammy (I also have a Boss DS-1 and a Dunlop 535Q wah). The pedal adds a very slight hiss when used with lots of gain. A good noise suppressor pedal would easily take care of that though. The effects on the Whammy always sound great. I'm sure the Original Whammy sounds better, but it's not worth the extra $300 that it would cost to get on eBay. I can get the sound of anybody Who uses a Whammy (Steve Vai, Tom Morello, Joe Satriani, etc). Like I said before, all the effects are very good.

I play mostly metal and shred type stuff, and this pedal is great for crazy solos and the like. I've been playing for 2 and 1/2 years. There is nothing I wish I had asked before buying the pedal. I tried it out in the store many times and I had done a lot of research before buying it. If the pedal were stolen or lost, I would buy another. I love everything about this pedal. It's amazing for what it's meant to do, plus the detune setting sound like a chorus pedal, so that's a bonus. I think this pedal is awesome as is.

This thing is build like a damn tank, I could definitely gig without a backup. The only thing I could see happening to the pedal is a few scratches on the paint. I was actually surprised how heavy the pedal was, if I dropped this thing on a cat from 3 feet, it would break it's back.

The DigiTech Whammy is a very easy pedal to use. Presets are selected via a single rotary knob, and LED's show you what you have selected. There are 17 different effects to choose from: 6 Whammy effects, 2 detune effects, and 9 harmony effects. The manual for the whammy is very straightforward and it tells you what every effect does. The pedal is basically a plug in and play type of pedal, very easy to get some crazy sounds from it.

Rock Boy
    The drop tune setting (2 half-tones down) is useful if you have tuned your guitar to E-tuning and you want to play drop D-tuning without tuning it every time... Great for string locking guitars!
    _RATM_
    Chickenfrmheck : get an rp80, also digitech, but only 80 bucks and it has a full featured whammy setting...i have one it has every effect imaginable
    i wouldnt recommend it,although it does have a lot of effects, they are extremely low quality
    wylde_overdrive
    Qaphela wrote: So can u use this thing as a whammy bar?
    OttovanZanten wrote: Qaphela wrote: So can u use this thing as a whammy bar? i'm looking for that too. Maybe i shouldn't have chosen fixed bridge.
    You can sort of use it like a bar, but it doesn't emulate the sound entirely.