Whammy review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Whammy

Purchased from: GAK

Currently I'm using a B.C. Rich Warlock guitar with a Line 6 spider amp along with a Jim Dunlop CryBaby and just a normal channel switcher pedal, and pretty much all of the time, the sound is great. I can honestly say that while I have had this pedal I have noticed no noise what'soever, on any setting. Most of the effects are great, but there are others, such as some of the harmonies which you would never use. Some sound weird and some just sound terrible, this however is not because of the tone but just because of the combination of the Harmony itself. My Favorite Artist has to be Joe Satriani, his songs are most definitely why I bought this pedal, I can get the perfect sound of a song by him called "Raspberry Jam Delta-V" where he uses this pedal quite frequently. The only downside is that sometimes this pedal will not respond properly and not give out the correct pitch, but there is a page in the manual explaining how to fix this by recalibreating, it is a very quick process. But I'll have to give it a 9 for sound, just because of that.

The style of music that I usually play is mainly metal or instrumental stuff such as Joe Satriani. This pedal seems the right match for the music as a lot of metal bands use this same pedal, so that's a good advantage. I've been playing 3 years now, and along with the Whammy I own a Crybaby which you have to set up precisely when with the Whammy otherwise it will be noisy. The only thing I would have asked before buying this product is, can it get the tone I want for the songs I would like to play? But this didn't really matter as the pedal has proven itself to me that it can. If this were stolen, aside from being really pissed off I would definitely buy another one, because I use it a lot now. What I love about this pedal is the 1 and 2 octave settings where when you press the pedal down the notes that you play will sound as 1 or 2 octaves higher. I don't really 'hate' anything about the pedal, I mean, I dislike the Harmony settings as in my opinion, not many musicians would use them. I chose to buy this product because I needed the sound of the 1 octave higher. But aswell as that I got a lot more effects, so overall I would say that this product deserves a 10.

I can definitely depend on this pedal, it's great. Even if before a gig it needs recalibrating, you can do this quickly and it will be fine. On Some occasions the small grip pads underneath the pedal will fall off but they are easily glued back on. Also when I first got this pedal the pedal itself was a bit stiff to press down and this did get annoying. But then I just got the correct Tool and loosened it up so that it was easier to press down.

The DigiTech Whammy is pretty straight forward to use and is very easy to get a good sound out of it, all you need to do is plug the leads in and you're done. The manual for this product is again easy to use/read it tells you all you need to know about the pedal and how to use it, where everything is and what it does etc. There are a few different models of this product, the early model being the WH-1 Whammy, but this is no longer manufactured as the new upgraded version is available, which is what I have.

jeordie1
    jack white from the white stripes also uses this pedal a lot. check "icky thump" and "you dont know what love is" solos. that pedal is really kool but so expensive
    ]\/[R. EM0
    it costs alot.....but i want one, just don't know how it would work on my randall amp though....
    ]\/[R. EM0
    i want something that could get me the closest to tom morello.....what would that be?????] \
    lancelot121
    Rock Boy : The drop tune setting (2 half-tones down) is useful if you have tuned your guitar to E-tuning and you want to play drop D-tuning without tuning it every time... Great for string locking guitars!
    Surely would it would tune each string down, so you wouldn't be in drop-d but just normal tuning down a tone...
    udaz
    Get a zoom g1x, it basically is the digitech whammy although its not as quality, it has a bunch of other effects which arent top notch but when run thru a gud amp (marshall, line 6, roland, vox) and a tele or les paul ts wil sound awesum
    Lihanitastic
    Qaphela wrote: So can u use this thing as a whammy bar?
    I just bought it several days ago, and its amazing. What I've found is that with the "dive bomb" setting, you can get the EXACT same sound as with a floyd rose (I used the setting, and then flicked off the pedal and did it again with my whammy bar) however, i haven't found a way to perfectly replicate PULLING on the floyd rose, (tightening the strings) but this pedal is incredible and i definitely recommend it, even if you just buy it for the "two octaves up" setting.