Whammy review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Whammy

Purchased from: eBay

I use it with a Fender Stratocaster or Cyclone and a Laney GC 30 or various Peavey models. It is not noisy to my knowledge. I usually use a noise suppressor with it just because I think it focuses the sound, but on the off-chance that I'm too lazy to hook my NS-2 up, this pedal adds no noise. The effects always sound decent. There is a bit of noticeable skipping on all the pitch-shifting settings, but it is not enough to bug me. The intro to "My Iron Lung" by Radiohead shows this. I can get Jonny Greenwood, Thom Yorke, and Matthew Bellamy sounds out of this. The "Detune" effects are a surprisingly pleasant-sounding chorus, especially the Deep setting. I use it for a Nirvana-sounding chorus with the neck pickup of the Cyclone.

This is a perfect match for my Indie and Alternative style. I have been playing for almost 2 years and I own a few amps, a few pedals, and a few guitars. Nothing special. If it were stolen or lost, I would probably get another one if I had the money. It is not a necessity, but it is fun to use. I like the two octave up, Morello sounding effect the best. There are really no other pedals like this one. I wish it had minor third Harmony, but that's a nitpick and it's a neat little thing. It was worth the 150 dollars.

It seems to be made fairly well. The pedal feels slightly flimsy. I would gig without a back up if I had to, but I would prefer not to. I have seen them break, but it does not happen too often and I would probably do a small show without a backup. If I were playing a larger show, then I would want to have a backup.

I have the Whammy IV reissue. It is very easy to use. All the instroctions are on the front of the pedal and it is very intuitive. I downloaded a manual for it. It showed me how to recalibrate the treadle if it ever goes out, but for everyday use, you really do not need a manual.

I-Watch-Anime
    to the first review, you DO know that it can tune 3 octaves down right? its the Dive Bomb setting.
    rageagainst64
    i have one of these. very fun. harmonizer is great for soloing and detune is good for psychedelic sound. and octave changing is just awesome. great all around for almost all types of music.