Whammy review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Whammy

The sound of this pedal is fine as far as I am concerned. I could like a balance control but the mix is OK. The sound of this pedal can seem really stupid and useless or really cool if you listen to what Satch or Gilmour does with it. I use it for harmonizer pitch shifts which I find it does rather well. Now some points: After using this pedal and consulting DigiTech there is the argument of where to put it in a chain. If you use it for primarily harmonizer modes like I do it neds to be up front for proper tracking! If you are going to do the typical weeeooooo octave whale sounds it needs to be end of chain or perhaps in a loop. I have trouble with my pedal cal slipping on the 8va down mode, usually when I move the pedal goofing around, seems like if you go from the usual octave pitch shifting pedal stuff to the harmonizer modes it loses its proper low octave position. DigiTech recommended I set the cal not quite moving the pedal all the way up or down. I use two oicks under each stopper and that seems to do the deal. It still goes off if I go to the pitch and back to the harmonizer modes. By the way this is basically a monophonic trigger, it is not made to track or shift chords. Single note runs on pitch shifting harmonizer modes, it will track chord shifts on the octave modes because you are not creating a Harmony tracking note. The tracking glitch some must think is musical or an artifact of this pedal is just playign chords into something that is not designed to track them. Use it right and it is supper cool. See the follow up on more tips.

As I mentioned I use my Whammy in front of chain for harmonizer effects of +/- 1 Bva, 5ths or 4ths. I do not find anything else particularly musical in that direction. Since I have this up front I run the DRY out to my tuner and I am able to keep my tuner out of my main chain, one less box in line so much the better. Good tip, I am surprised the older players are not on to this trick. take any spare out give it to the tuner and no tuner in line!!! Try a 4th up or dwn with gain and it sounds really cool, very Jeff Beck honking fusion. Low octave is cool and the octave up gives a good octaver sound. Use first in line for proper triggering, works very well and it is monophonic. Now the cool EH POG units are polyphonic BUT they cannot do 4ths or 5ths. This unit is cool because you do not have to Pick a key to play in like the Boss pitch shifter which I find really a pain. This unit simply 4ths or 5ths whatever you give it, very cool! I like it for harmonizer stuff, I just goof on the weeeeooo echo trail stuff messing around, for 4th and 5th using gain it is a bad mother...

I have used a lot of DigiTech boxes ofr the ages. I current have 3 on my board. As I said the pedal cal on this one slips from time to time which is OK, as the Original one you had to set it every power up which was a pain. Use the two Pick spacing and this helps a lot. I have only noticed it on the low octave harmonizer mode it is just not quite in tune when all the way up, you can push down on the end of it to force it if you are in the middle of a tune but I have to recal to get it back. A minor problem. Never noticed anything off on the typical weeeooooo stuff.

Simple control: mode selector from ocatve pitch bends to harmonizer modes. No vol, no gain, no balance. Just set and move the pedal. Does not get any easier. This is my 2nd Whammy pedal, I had the Original and when I redid my board I decided to get another one because this has some qualities you cannot get in another pedal. See the following...

mynameisdrakex
    Im_Broken wrote: so, pretty much everyone referenced Tom Morello. dont get me wrong, hes good. but i reckon Dimebag was doing it better. and Matt Bellamy? wtf. again, hes good. but Dime did it better by using it riffs, as well as solos. i mean, seriously. Becoming. wtf. thats a ****in amazing riff, and you fools are all like ooooohh matt! ooooohhh tom! come on. im pretty much buying this. eventually. after i get a job lulz.
    Chill bro. There are a lot of good guitar players that use this pedal, the ones listed included, but Tom Morello is the guy that made it famous without a doubt. With that said, probably my favorite guitar player that uses this pedal quite frequently would be Thomas Erak formerly of The Fall of Troy. Living ****ing legend.
    Im_Broken
    Way Cool JR.
    I might get one of these someday but the reason is because Glen Tipton of Judas Priest used it. I don't like any of the other guitarists that used it. I liked Dimebag's playing and sound in the 80's but his tone and playing was ass in the 90's.