Whammy review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Whammy

Price paid: C$ 280

Purchased from: Tom Lee Music

I use a Godin SD guitar and a crappy little Fender G-DEC amp, with the only other pedal being a EH Germanium Big Muff 4. On it's own, the octave up is kinda weak, but if you put your gain before the pedal, it will sound like Jack White's solo's. It takes a little practice to get it right, but it will become a useful tool for you. When the pedal is engaged, it gives off a very faint hiss, but almost any pedal will make hiss too.

I have been playing for almost 3 years now, and like many indy-hard-punk-blues rock acts. When used correctly, this thing is a several pound red hot pedal of HOLY F#&@)! My only concern is of these 2 rubber feet under the foot control. They keep the pedal from staying in the heel down position and bend the pitch a little. Just push them off and you can keep the pedal at the normal octave, without using the foot button. Mines engaged all the time.

I have dropped this pedal on concrete. TWICE! The paint chipped easy, but the pedal still works like a dream. I would trust this thing with my life! Because I only have 2 pedal's (less means more) I don't use a pedalboard, just a computer bag. It has worked just fine like this.

The pedal is a dream to use, the one knob is smooth and it won't get in the way of anything. You can even use the knob with your foot if your partway into a song on the wrong setting. The lights come in handy, you don't need to squint at the settings.