Whammy review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Whammy

I use this in a long chain of effects pedals with no trouble, sounds well no matter where I put it, but I prefer it with a nice slow delay, so you can hear the pitch changing. I use active pups in my guitars and run into a Blackstar HT-40 and it really does sound whacky when you want it. But that's the right hand side of the settings selection, all whacky and stuff, but on the left hand side, oh my is it good. This is the harmonizing side and these settings will beef up any solo and particularly the octave harmony. It gets you that nice jamiroquai - deeper underground sound with a bit of distortion. But bare in mind, that may annoy your bass player.

Muse, Tom Morrello, Ministry, Jamiroquai, Dimebag Darrell, you can't get their sound without this bad boy, well you can try, but this works best in my opinion. I play metal, heavy rock, and when I'm bored, pop and dance music and this thing works well, it compliments your sound when you give a wee flick of the pedal and if it was stolen, boy I'd be pissed and buy a new one. I have a DigiTech EX-7 which gets a similar sound as it has a patch of the Whammy but I would never see this as a replacement cos it just doesn't have variations the Whammy does, though I think the new Boss PS-6 can hold a torch to it given that you use an expression pedal with it and it's also polyphonic so you can through in those organ sounding intros and stuff. Overall, kicka-s pedal.

I can totally depend on this pedal, it's built like a little tank, all red and just demanding you to slam your foot into it and make the crowd think your strangling a bird into a microphone. The only thing that I can think lets it down is that it has these wee rubber feet under the treadle which don't let the treadle stay toe down, so if you want to leave it toe down for a distinctive sound it may be out of tune. So you could take these of or trim them with a scalpel like I have. I'll just add that I've had this 3 years and it's had no problems yet.

First of all, I'll get the bad out of the way, it's not true bypass, it's not polyphonic so you can't play chords while you're rockin that treadle forward on the +2oct setting. Though that does give a nice effect. But apart from these things, the pedal is piss easy to use, just a twisty knob to choose what setting you want, on/off footswitch and the treadle to change the pitch. Good manual, shows everything you need to know and importantly how to calibrate it.

gerrywm
    ProgJazzMath wrote: I hear this thing breaks very easily.
    our fat ass drummer like to think mines a surf board, its survived two years of his punishment, built like a tank just has to be re-caled now and then