Whammy review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Whammy

Purchased from: eBay

I play the pedal through a Raven RG60 amp with my Fender Strat. While some of the effects can sound a little too digital on a clean channel, I can do some amazing stuff with this pedal through a distortion or fuzz pedal (I mainly use an NYC Big Muff for this). I bought the pedal mainly for the octave changing effects (after seeing Jack White use like, three of them lol), but the Harmony uses of the pedal surprised me. It's very fun to play around with simple and new riffs having the pedal set to go down a fifth. Also, setting the pedal down one octave is very useful in imitating a bass guitar. My band is currently without a bass player, so we recorded our demo tape using this pedal for supplying the bass sounds. I'm dying to plug it into a bass and set it up an octave and see how that works out.

I play garage punk/grunge kind of music. Like I said, I'm very influenced by Jack White, and I've been wanting one of these pedals for a long time. I was definitely not disappointed; if anything at all were to happen to this pedal, if just ONE setting stopped working for whatever reason, I'd replace it ASAP. It's a must have pedal for me, and I'd give a 100% recommendation to all other guitar players. Just being able to play around with the settings is fun as hell, and the cool solo effects and riffs you can write with the thing are incredible.

I bought the pedal used, and I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference between it and one that was brand new in the store. I wouldn't have any problem using it at gigs (aside from making sure to keep my eye on it so it doesn't end up going home with someone else) as it seems it can take a beating (I don't plan on abusing it though, lol!)

It can't really get any easier using this pedal. It has a knob. You spin the knob. The red light moves from setting to setting as you spin the knob. You put it on the setting you like and play. It even has diagrams under the settings to let you know what the pedal will be doing when lifted up or pushed down. For you other pedal newbies out there, like me, make sure your cable is running out of the "Wet Out" jack; the dry doesn't provide any effects. Other than that, this thing is a breeze.

KerNeL_KLuTcH
    To all those who said it "broke" look in the instructions on how to calibrate it if it goes out of tune, i thought mine was broken for awhile too. also i've noticed that it sounds phenomenally better on tube amps, solid states can't seem to get the RATM sound (tom uses a marshal tube amp), they will however get a dime sound because mostly solid state randall amps. solid states seem to have a volume drain which can be circumvented the tom morello way by using an eq pedal as a volume booster.
    mattg2123
    I have the Whammy IV and it worked fine for about a month and then fell around a half step out on the 2 oct up when returning back to heel down. I re-calibrated it a bunch of times only to have it fall out of tune again. I considered taking it back and then read somewhere that if you pull the rubber stoppers off it stays in tune. Did that and it has been sweet ever since!