Whammy review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Whammy

Purchased from: Union Music

I use this with a Kramer Striker 300 and a Peavey Vyper 15, though it works with practically any setup. It is not noisy at all (in regards to extra feedback/hum) The effect is usually pretty strong, but is stronger with distortion. However, when you set it to an octave down (for an example) and continuously play, it sounds broken up ("glitchy"). I can get Tom Morello sounds easily, i.e. "Killing In The Name" or "Bullet In The Head".

This is a good match for any style of music that would need the pedal, though I play it for heavier styles. The best example that I use with this is Rage Against The Machine. My favorite settings are the 2 and 1 octave up, and detune, which offers a chorus-type effect. The only problems are the repeated need for re-calibration, the signal breakup, and the fact it can only use the DigiTech power supply (not useable with my Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus). I would buy another one, but I want the more versatile Whammy DT model.

It can be dependable, but after a few months of use, I got to the point where I had to recalibrate it (it gets out of tune) every 15 minutes. This obviously isn't very good if you play live. However, I've never had it completely break down, so it will always work. A backup really isn't needed.

The DigiTech Whammy is very easy to use. The manual is very instructive, though it is not very necessary, as the settings on the pedal are self-explanatory in regards to what they do. It is very easy to get Tom Morello (2 or one octave up) and Jack White sounds (one octave up or down) out of it.