Whammy DT review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Whammy DT

Purchased from: Union Music

Except for a few cases, the effect signal is very strong, especially with my god-awful Peavey Vypyr 15. It isn't noisy (in terms of feedback/hum/etc) and nails the sounds of any Whammy user (my favorite is Morello). The only case that the signal is weak is with 1-2 octave up with high notes (E and B strings), pinch harmonics, and trilling on higher notes. The Down Tune setting is accurate, exactly like tuning a guitar. It sounds good on clean and distortion. The Harmony sounds great on clean, but not distortion.

I use the pedal to Rage Against The Machine, and it does so excellently with 1 and 2 octaves up (my favorite features). I like the addition of true bypass and DC power, since I can power it with a VoodooLab Pedal Power 2 Plus. The addition of the Down tune makes interval tunings pointless since it sounds exactly like tuning the guitar. I use half step down tuning for Smashing Pumpkins, Black Sabbath, and Thin Lizzy. The down tune and DC power settings is why I chose it over the other Whammy models. I would buy it again if stolen. Video from YouTube:

YouTube preview picture

From what I can tell the Whammy DT is more durable than the IV. You don't need to calibrate it like the IV. I would handle it with care like all other pedals, but I don't see any other problems arising. Well, now I guess I will ramble to fill out the stupid requirements. It is durable. Don't drop it off of a high, precarious height. It would probably break. However, it would probably survive a 5 foot drop. But I would not do that repeatedly. That should just about do it for the character requirement.

It's from 2011, and it's very easy to get a good sound with it. The manual is useless since the settings on the pedal tell you what they do. I can get Tom Morello and Jack White sounds with ease. The only thing I would get to make the pedal easier to use is an FS3-X footswitch, so you have hands-free switching of settings. The only thing you need to do to use it is plug in the power supply, plug in the guitar, plug the pedal to the amp, and turn the black knobs and push down the expression pedal when necessary.

Paddynbob
    This pedal is the best thing I own. In the world. Ever. Like, ever. I would physically make love to it if I could. It is perfect.