FX30-B Gate/Loop Review

1,046
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
FX30-B Gate/Loop Reviewed by: AJ6stringsting, on june 16, 2015

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Ease of Use: The unit has a Release knob, a Gate knob and a Sensitivity knob.

• The Release knob activates the gates circuit, when a signal is below a threshold enough to let go of the note.
  • The Gate knob, is kind of like the strength of the Gate to open or close.
  • The Sensitivity knob, will determine when the gate opens or closes.
Since it's analog, there is no programming or patches to use. No manual is needed, just use your ears and set the knobs at 12 o'clock and adjust the gate to close and open, to the way of your liking. And there is no firmware to upgrade either. // 10

Sound: You can add this in you line to activate an effect that you want put a side and out of the main line until you step on to activate, say, a Distortion or Overdrive unit. I used this for a Behringer AM 100 and a Boss GE-7 band EQ, until I got a RJM Music Effects Gizmo (a M.I.D.I effects loop), so I wouldn't have to tap dance or look like a kid stomping on bugs to activate my AM 100 and GE-7 band EQ. This FX30-B doesn't color or alter your tone at all, so there is no worry about any changes in your tone / sounds. The effects loop is totally clean, no buzz or hums of any kind, just like it was intended // 10

Reliability & Durability: This unit is great if you are dealing with a pedal that is way too noise and want to drop in an effect in and out of you main signal line.
I've had this unit since 1988 and it still works perfectly. I've used this on stage and used it in all lower 48 American states and 6 Canadian provinces, night after night, it worked perfectly. It got beat up over the years (but not that bad), it once had beer pour on it by a dumb drunk groupie in New Mexico, but it still works very very well. I think they stopped making these in the late 1990's, but I could be wrong. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing since 1978 and I'd say, I've never seen another company make a combo pedal of a Noise Gate and Effects Loop together.So I think there is no other of this kind of pedal to compare it to. There is no "clicks" or "Pops" when you activate the loop on the FX30-B. If you see this unit or any other Gate/Loop (I doubt it), nab it fast, this is an essential unit for switching things into your signal, if you don't got M.I.D.I. You can find these on eBay, but, when you do see one, they are usually nabbed up quickly. // 10

Comments