FX55C Supra Distortion review by DOD

• Users' score: 8 (1 vote)
DOD: FX55C Supra Distortion

Purchased from: The Music Box

For my set-up, it usually goes as such: Agile 930 (9 string) guitar to the DOD pedal to the input of my Epiphone SoCal 50 head (running through the matched cab). I use this pedal to boost the distortion on my amp and tighten it up as the distortion on the amp alone is more bluesy than anything and I am a metal kind of guy. I usually run the gain on the amp just under 50% and the gain on the pedal between the first mark and the second mark. It does get a little noisy when you turn the gain up, but nothing that can't be fixed with a nice gate. In my personal opinion, if you plan on using this for it's distortion alone, it's gonna be pretty weak. However, if you are going to use it to boost the Drive channel on your amp, it'll sound pretty good and you'll get a much tighter tone with more attack (although, I haven't tried it through any other amps except my Epiphone SoCal). As somewhat stated, I use this pedal to boost the Drive channel on my amp and get a much tighter response with more attack and I can get that "djent" tone or whatever you'd call it, similar to Meshuggah or Periphery. Not exact, but close enough for an inexpensive pedal.

Overall, this pedal suits my needs and does exactly what I expect it to do for the styles of music that I play which is the progressive metal stuff. I have been playing for maybe two or two and half years at this point and my arsenal also includes a B.C. Rich Chuck Schuldiner Stealth, an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, an Epiphone SG G-400, a Marshall Class 5, a Fab Metal Distortion, all in addition to the DOD FX55C Supra Distortion and my Epiphone SoCal 50 head with the matched cab.

I really haven't had it long enough to comment on the reliability/durability yet, but when I bought the pedal used from a local music shop I was told that the previous owner had used it extensively and it still works perfectly fine for me.

This pedal has a super simple interface. You got your level, your tone, and your gain controls. Simple as that.

Fenderdog
    Just purchased a used one made in USA for $20 plus tax. Will pick it up tomorrow after police hold ends on it at GC. I have a DOD Grunge pedal that is just awesome! To me the Grunge sounds like a late 50s distorted Fender Deluxe amp!