FX68 Super Stereo Chorus Review

2,584
review (1) pictures (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
FX68 Super Stereo Chorus Reviewed by: Darndez, on april 13, 2010

Purchased from: Yahoo Auctions Hong Kong

Ease of Use: Relatively easy to use. Has 4 knobs: Level, Speed, Delay Time and Depth. Spent a while trying to get the hang of it, with the help of the manual I got off the internet. The Delay Time knob is a feature that was with the older generation effects pedals, you won't find one these days. You have to tweak it, opposite of the depth in order to get some differences in the tone. You need to fiddle with it for a while, but with the help of the manual; it should be easy. // 8

Sound: Treble, Smooth. Doesn't get in the way. Very versatile. It can be really subtle or quite apparent. Comparing it with the Boss Chorus Ensemble and Super Chorus (CE-5 & CH-1), this pedal covers both worlds. Brilliant. My setup in chain is like this: Vox V847 Wah, Boss Turbo Distortion, MXR Script 90 and finally the DOD. The chorus pedal works perfectly with all of the other pedals. Got this chorus to double up my sound and it does exactly that. Nothing gets in its way, I currently play Pink Floyd and The Academy Is... stuff; and the pedal helps out big time. Gives me this wide sound when I strum chords, backs my distortion up when I play leads. It is pretty amazing when I'm just practicing in a tiny bedroom. Feels like I'm playing in a stadium. Can't say anymore. Its just too good. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Built like a tank. I love it. However, there are a couple of set backs. First is that it has an ancient 3.5mm plug input for a 10V power supply. They are definitely hard to find these days; due to technological advancements, pedal companies don't produce many of the old power supply systems anymore. That being said you can always use a 1 Spot and connect a converter plug onto it or simply use the battery. Another disappointing part of the pedal is the plastic battery cover. Due to its old age, the plastic starts to wear down and fails to properly do its duty by covering the battery compartment. It becomes loose and simply falls off. After careful bending, I was able to make it a bit more secure; but time will tell if it actually works consistently. I don't think a backup would be necessary. But it is always better to be safe than sorry. // 7

Overall Impression: DOD makes fantastic pedals but they are just too old in age. Its literally ancient. But that being said; its Vintage sound quality cannot be matched by today's chorus pedals. Its so warm and lovable that you fall in love with it despite the old power input and forever dim power light. Definitely will buy it again if it was stolen, provided that I can find one. I can't ask for more. It has everything I need. Simply put; get this pedal when you find one. It will definitely not fail you, sonically. Too good! Get one! // 9

Comments