FX69 Grunge Review

manufacturer: DOD date: 11/29/2004 category: Guitar Effects
DOD: FX69 Grunge
The FX69 Grunge is one of the most famous distortion pedals ever. Simply put, it gives you some of the fattest sounding distortion available anywhere. If you want a modern crunch with huge low-end response, the FX69 can?t be touched.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.8
 Ease of Use: 8.8
 8.2
 7.8
 3,359
reviews (10) 5 comments vote for this gear:
FX69 Grunge Reviewed by: Mack56, on december 10, 2003

Ease of Use: Well, It's pretty easy to use, if you ask me. The manuel gives you 3 setting ideas that are all good. If you don't understand the pedal, you don't understand anything. // 8

Sound: I play this through a crappy little Yamaha amp right now and it still sounds good to me. It is noisy...almost all the time, but you get used to it. Heck, I tryed out some settings and found one that sounds almost like a fuzz box. Tweak the settings a bit and you get a Melvins-style distortion on it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's reliable and durible enough to handle my lifestyle and the way I handle my gear. // 10

Overall Impression: This thing rocks in my opinion. that's all I care about. // 10

FX69 Grunge Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 09, 2003

Ease of Use: This DOD stompbox is pretty simple to use with only four options of control. // 6

Sound: Sadly I found this pedal extremely poor as I could not get a Grunge sound at all from it. All the controls just makes it horribly high pitched and full on treble which to me is definately not what Grunge is. I used a Marshall AVT 150 when I was testing this. // 2

Reliability & Durability: DOD stompboxes aren't all bad. I would think that it should be reliable and it looks durable but because it just sounds so bad I've hidden it in my cupboard and have never used it for more than a few hours. // 6

Overall Impression: I wouldn't recommend this at all to anyone. The sound it just awful and I really don't know what made me buy it. // 2

FX69 Grunge Reviewed by: SRVGuitarFreak, on december 10, 2003

Purchased from: Mars Music

Ease of Use: I actually borrowed this pedal from my friend. So it's not mine but I found it as easy to use as any other stop box. // 8

Sound: Now the sound is very fuzzy and high in the treble range. Not alot of low end like it's supposed to have (out of my Marshall AVT50 anyway). I didn't find it to play very well with my style, it's kind of thrash metal, but more treble than most medal, not enough mid. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Now the durability is kind of bad, Doesn't touch a Boss. My friend said it stopped working so he kicked it really hard and it started working again, so it's good enough for $40 or so but again you get what you pay for. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall I wouldn't purchase it. It's alright but not my style, if you want a good distortion pedal go with a Boss or DigiTech, the will last longer and personally I think they have better sound. Pay more, get more. // 6

FX69 Grunge Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 13, 2004

Purchased from: Used

Ease of Use: If you can't get this thing running then you are very very very stupid. ;) // 10

Sound: I use very old russian amp and a russian guitar (going to buy a Ibanez 370DX) This thing rocks, but it need a lot of time to tune it right. At first I just turned the knob and that's all. It sounded awful too noisy nad no Grunge at all no mids only high, but then spending an our playing with it and my amp (always use your all the problems arr there!!!) it sounded great very low and the highs great MEGA MEGA cool Grunge. It's one of the best distortion ever seen. I have a Boss MT-2 too, but it sounds not so clear and MEGA over distored. It's just great. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Metal case, but the battery holder sux and the button too. But if you use it carefuly it rulez. No problems with it. // 6

Overall Impression: Just great get it!!! but don't forget to play with it!!! It's very important if you won't i will sound like shit. I recomed to turn the Grunge level to 50% percent couse there is no Change from 50% - 100%. Only change it won't bet so noise when you stop to play. // 8

FX69 Grunge Reviewed by: tumble, on april 02, 2004

Ease of Use: Standard input/output 4 sound functions. // 10

Sound: I use an Ibanez roadstar 2series through a 30w Marshall MG series, this pedal will kick you in the face and leave you begging for more! It can produce a wide range of sounds from a heavy dirty sound to a really clean powerfull in your face effect. This pedal is best used if you're into Green Day, Nirvana, CKY, to bands like Metallica, Slayer and Pantera. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I could easily depend on it I got this pedal second hand about 5 months ago it stays plugged in on my bedroom floor getting kicked and stood on whenever I'm in and hasn't broke yet-yet. // 10

Overall Impression: If I lost or fully broke this pedal I would buy another within a day, I've been playing for nearly 4 years and this pedal next to the Ibanez smashbox is my second faverite type of distortion I have ever tried. The only thing I really hate on this pedal is the hole in the back of it which is about 1.5cm by 4.5cm. // 10

FX69 Grunge Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 13, 2004

Ease of Use: This is one of the best Pedals I've ever heard or played. Very easy to set up! You have to tweak it quite a bit to get a rid of the bottom end screeching. Other than that it's a godsend. // 10

Sound: I use a Epiphone G-400 with a Marshall MG15CD Amp, and the pedal still kicks my ass at lower volume levels! I'ts kinda Noise-y with all nobs turned up. The Effects Are One of The Crispest I have ever heard. I use the Grunge pedal to play stuff from Metallica, Deftones, Breaking Benjamin, and alot more. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have stomped on this thing for as long as I have had it, and it still works as good as new. I would use it on a gig without a backup without question. It's that Durable! // 10

Overall Impression: I play Metal, Ska, Rock, and more, and this thing can take it with a vengence. I would Definately Buy Another one, if it was stolen. My favorite feature is the ability to create your own unique sound. There is nothing I hate about it. The Battery area is ok. Not to bad. // 10

FX69 Grunge Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 19, 2004

Purchased from: A buddy

Ease of Use: The stompbox is extremely easy to use and if you're into the whole 90's - present music, you'll be able to get the sound you want out of it. You just gotta play with the 4 knobs. // 10

Sound: I've tried this pedal on a BC Rich Warlock, Gibson Les Paul Standard, and a Gibson SG Standard all on a Marshall AVT50 and have only been able to get high treble, crunch sounding distortion. That's what the pedal is made to do but for people like me who are stuck in the 60's - 80's, it's impossible to get the distortion needed to play those songs. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This thing won't break. I've had my 310 lb. friend jump on the puppy and it wasn't even phased. // 10

Overall Impression: Since I play 60's - 80's metal, this is a horrible pedal for me (except when playin Metallica.) I have already sold mine. If you play the new crap that people are callin' music, this is the pedal for you. For those people who play real music, I'd pass this pedal up if I were you. // 6

FX69 Grunge Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 08, 2004

Ease of Use: I found this pedal to be extremely easy to set up. With a very basic list of controls (Volume, Treble, Bass, Grunge) it didn't take long at all to dial in a sound I liked. The pedal was very self explanatory and the manual included some basic starter configurations. // 10

Sound: I play through a Fender Strat into a Fender amp. It is not the best setup in the world, but by throwing in this Grunge pedal it has improved the sound significantly. I am not a huge fan of Fender distortion and this pedal totally does the trick for me. My only complaint with the sound is that it is impossible (using the pedal knobs only) to dial in very light distortion. However, for punk and heavier rock, this pedal sounds great. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have played several times using just this pedal alone. I do not need to worry about backups because I know I can depend on this pedal. It is built very solidly and I have no fear of breaking it ever. // 10

Overall Impression: I generally play punk and heavy rock. This pedal works perfectly for what I need. I also play in a worship band and use this pedal for all my distortion needs. If lost or stolen I would definitely replace it in half a heartbeat. I love this sounds I can get out of it and the purplish body definitely makes it stand out. My favorite thing about it is the ability to dial in very rich, heavy distortion. The only thing I wish it had was the capability of producing very light distortion. Overall, I have recommended it to all my friends and anybody else I come across. // 10

FX69 Grunge Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 09, 2004

Purchased from: musicians friend

Ease of Use: The sound is self explanatory. This is one of the best qualities of the pedal. It is easy to figure out, I didn't even look at the booklet and I figured it out myself. Very good for anyone who plays 80s metal or punk and is just getting started. // 8

Sound: The sound is alright. I didn't like some of the sounds that were produced when I turned up the "Grunge" control up high. It gave a little feedback and produced a horrible sound. Like others have said you can not get a light distortion out of this pedal. If using for classic rock or anything other than metal or punk, not worth it. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Holds up great. No worries when playing with this pedal. Although the led can be tricky to tell if your distorion is on or not. But other than that it is great and holds up awesome at shows or whatever you are using it for. // 10

Overall Impression: This pedal is not what I had expected. I did not like the tones it produced, although that is just because you couldn't get a lighter distorion when needed. Other than that, when playing heavy it is a great pedal. It is obsolete to the advanced players. For a begginer players. Once you move up to using other pedals you will never use this again. // 6

FX69 Grunge Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 29, 2004

Purchased from: Audiophile (Phils.)

Ease of Use: Like most of DOD pedals, this is a no brainer (though the labels are somewhat confusing the first time I twiddled the knob - hey this is a first gen Grunge I'm reviewing - the one with the loud, face and Grunge labels). The battery access was strategically and well placed (unlike the Boss pedals), though the DC outlet/plug is awkwardly placed on the side of the chasis (as opposed to the Boss pedals). // 8

Sound: First time I heard it, I immediately knew that I wanted it. I used to run a custom super-Strat guitar through this one (with an equally hot DiMarzio Super 2 on the bridge and a DiMazio PAF on the neck), so everything that I play (be it alternative, punk, classic rock) sounded different - not like what they implied. Don't let the name fool you, there is more to this than Grunge alone. It sounded bottomy-end to my ears. My only gripe right now since I've moved away from the heavy stuff, I can't get a distorted-yet-clean sound, it still is "grunge-y" no matter what minimal setting I twiddle the knob to. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Talk about being built like a tank. This baby here has been receiving and delivering a lot of abuse since 1994. And it still is alive! This is a first gen Grunge, it is that old. Yet it never fails me. No repairs of any sort has been done to this bugger, up to now after years of neglect. // 10

Overall Impression: You can't go wrong with this nifty box here (unless you play music where distortion is not a key factor). If you love punishing your audience, Pick one, used or b/new. But for musicians like me who've moved away from the really heavy stuff and into more melodic metal, stay away. Not unless you want Led Zepp's Rock And Roll to sound like Metallica had done it. // 8

Comments