FX69B Grunge review by DOD

DOD: FX69B Grunge

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

I'm using this with a Squier Strat and a Line6 Spider 2, and it works really well. We play lots of nirvana and the pedal really gets the tone of the songs we play. Again, the loud knob let's me kick it up a notch when the drummer comes in hard, so I'm not drowned out anymore, and the distortion is really over the top. This is exactly what I'm looking for, but if you want something that has a little more control over the distortion get something else. This really has no small distortion. There's heavy distortion, and then there's over the top insane. But, it gets it's distortion really good, and sounds way better than the stuff on my amp. Sounds like Nirvana, which is what I'm looking for, tho I can tweak the settings to get my own grunge in their. All in all, the perfect sound for me. If you want over the top distortion this is the pedal for you. One thing you should know tho, is that there can be feed back issues. If you have distortion on your amp already, this thing is gonna feedback like crazy because of all the gain. Same thing if you amp is really loud. Whenever I step on the pedal with the amp turned up, the feedback/humming starts immediately. It's normal at higher volumes/gains, but just mute the strings and it's fine. Also, keeping the high and Grunge down helps a little, but I just mute the strings with my hand. besides, the more sound the better. The feedback doesn't really bother me, and it sounds really cool when you sustain the notes for a bit.

As I said, I love Nirvana and grunge and like the pedal says, this is perfect for it. Simplicity combined with good distortion makes playing the songs easy, instead of wasting 20 minutes trying to get it to sound right then giving up. This pedal works well with the amp and guitar I have, and I plan on using it for a lot longer. Nothing I wanted to know. Just tried it at the store and got it the next day. I would definetly look for another one if it got stolen/lost. Definetly love how over the top the hiss and spit is, and the feedback sounds intense for outros when holding down chords. Great sustain, great reliability, overall awesome. Only thing I wish it had was a pedal like a Boss, as opposed to the button that you step on.

Definetly reliable. It's used and there is no sign of wear on the metal case. the knobs are broken or easily turned (so you won't accidently change the setting with your toe or something) we haven't had a chance to play any gigs, but I don't think I'd bring a backup. Probably some extra batteries tho. I haven't had much time with it, so I haven't seen how long it takes to kill the battery in this thing, but from what I've heard it'd be smart to get an adaptor if you can. DOD sold the DODPS3 and DODPS50 adaptors but now it's the PS125 (I think) plan on picking one of these up just to save the money on the D batteries. Definetly sturdy, no chance I'm gonna break this from using it normaly. Feels like you could curb stomp it and it'd be fine.

Definetly easy. I bought it used (why it was so cheap) so it didn't come with a manual, and it was pretty self explanatory. One thing I really like about this pedal is it doesn't have one tone knob, but a low (bass/ low end) and a high (treble) knob. I'm able to get a more precise sound to what I'm looking for, instead of having to make do with something close enough. One of my favourite things about this pedal is that the loud (volume) knob lets you get more volume when you step on the pedal. And I mean a lot more volume. I play in a band with some friends, and when ever I play the clean chorus my guitar was always too loud, just so that I could get it loud enough with my old pedal when the drummer comes in. my one complaint is that the black patch in the middle that says DOD is what moves down, as opposed to a whole "pedal". Can be a little hard to step on when you're sitting down.