FX69B Grunge review by DOD

DOD: FX69B Grunge

Purchased from: Daddy's Junky Music

For me this is an easy pedal to get a good crunch from. I'm playing through a no name amp, I'm saving up for a Peavey, and a Epiphone Les Paul Speacial II. It can be overwhelming if you don't have the right set ups, but after tinkering with it for maybe 10 minutes to an hour depending on how exact you are you can get great tones.

I'm in a Nirvana tribute band, but I'm also just in a Rock/Metal band and this works well for both groups. If I lost it or something happened I would replace it immediatley, its the only overdrive/distortion on my board and it probobly will be the only one for a long time.

I used this at a gig without a back up, and at the party things were out of hand and it managed to withstand many drunk people and at one point being thrown across the room, so I would give this a 10. If you're looking for a hard crunch with a pedal that can take a crunch, this is for you.

I've had the pedal for a year now, and I thought that it was easy to set up from the box...well it was more of a bag because I bought it used. It comes with a manual to help you get started with your tone and all, but I just threw it away, I'm not a huge fan of the Melvins and their sound isn't that great to me. It took about 15 minutes to rig it to what was perfect for me when I got it.

azurexdragon23
    freshtunes wrote: Every review on here is from a 14 year old that likes nirvana. Come on.
    I reviewed it and I'm actually 28, yes I like nirvana, but it isn't all I play or listen to, if you play around and run better gear and other pedals you can get some pretty chill tones out of it.
    Hamsterboy420 wrote: that pedal almost looks exactly like the digitech grunge pedal.
    DOD was bought out by Digitech, and digitech kept some of the DOD pedals like the grunge and their wah
    SLD.Potato wrote: Something tells me that this pedal doesn't actually sound like Nirvana.
    Kurt Cobain never used the pedal himself, but it was made to catch the rawness of nirvana's music.
    Fenderdog
    I had this pedal since from mid to late 90s. I did not like DOD pedals. I liked the way Boss sounded better. I tried all the DOD pedals and the Grunge FX69B blew my mind! To me it sounded like Grunge or Neil Young playing through a distorted tweed Fender Deluxe. I find this pedal works well also being played straight into recorders. I have a few distortion pedals and, this is one of my favorites. I find it works very well with certain overdriven low watt amps in the range between 6 to 1/10 watt. It is not very difficult to get a sweet singing sustaining tone with this pedal. I find whatever coloration it adds to be desireable. With most of amps this pedal pulls out great tone from my guitars and, the bit of coloration it has is part of the charm of the pedal. If you have it set up right it will not muddy your sound. When I first played it in the store I played it as a joke because I figured "Grunge" was not going to sound like grunge but, I was pleasantly surprized by how well this circuit enhances and brings out a great tone from most guitars.
    odie-man
    I got this pedal free from a dude who played alot of Death Metal with it. He told me how it would work and all, and I was instantly hooked. It has a far better tone quality to it than the "Overdrive" my amp normally gets. I have been playing it for a few months now, and have no issues with it (other than batteries) and over all love it. It puts out good sound for the punk and rock/metal music I play.