FX69B Grunge Review

manufacturer: DOD date: 01/10/2011 category: Guitar Effects
DOD: FX69B Grunge
It's very very user friendly, there's volume, treble, bass and grunge knobs. It uses 1x9V battery, which is easily changable with/from the compartament at the top, or you can use an AC adaptor.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.9
 5,600
reviews (7) 20 comments vote for this gear:
FX69B Grunge Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 15, 2008

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

Ease of Use: Definetly easy. I bought it used (why it was so cheap) so it didn't come with a manual, and it was pretty self explanatory. One thing I really like about this pedal is it doesn't have one tone knob, but a low (bass/ low end) and a high (treble) knob. I'm able to get a more precise sound to what I'm looking for, instead of having to make do with something close enough. One of my favourite things about this pedal is that the loud (volume) knob lets you get more volume when you step on the pedal. And I mean a lot more volume. I play in a band with some friends, and when ever I play the clean chorus my guitar was always too loud, just so that I could get it loud enough with my old pedal when the drummer comes in. my one complaint is that the black patch in the middle that says DOD is what moves down, as opposed to a whole "pedal". Can be a little hard to step on when you're sitting down. // 9

Sound: I'm using this with a Squier Strat and a Line6 Spider 2, and it works really well. We play lots of nirvana and the pedal really gets the tone of the songs we play. Again, the loud knob let's me kick it up a notch when the drummer comes in hard, so I'm not drowned out anymore, and the distortion is really over the top. This is exactly what I'm looking for, but if you want something that has a little more control over the distortion get something else. This really has no small distortion. There's heavy distortion, and then there's over the top insane. But, it gets it's distortion really good, and sounds way better than the stuff on my amp. Sounds like Nirvana, which is what I'm looking for, tho I can tweak the settings to get my own grunge in their. All in all, the perfect sound for me. If you want over the top distortion this is the pedal for you. One thing you should know tho, is that there can be feed back issues. If you have distortion on your amp already, this thing is gonna feedback like crazy because of all the gain. Same thing if you amp is really loud. Whenever I step on the pedal with the amp turned up, the feedback/humming starts immediately. It's normal at higher volumes/gains, but just mute the strings and it's fine. Also, keeping the high and Grunge down helps a little, but I just mute the strings with my hand. besides, the more sound the better. The feedback doesn't really bother me, and it sounds really cool when you sustain the notes for a bit. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Definetly reliable. It's used and there is no sign of wear on the metal case. the knobs are broken or easily turned (so you won't accidently change the setting with your toe or something) we haven't had a chance to play any gigs, but I don't think I'd bring a backup. Probably some extra batteries tho. I haven't had much time with it, so I haven't seen how long it takes to kill the battery in this thing, but from what I've heard it'd be smart to get an adaptor if you can. DOD sold the DODPS3 and DODPS50 adaptors but now it's the PS125 (I think) plan on picking one of these up just to save the money on the D batteries. Definetly sturdy, no chance I'm gonna break this from using it normaly. Feels like you could curb stomp it and it'd be fine. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said, I love Nirvana and grunge and like the pedal says, this is perfect for it. Simplicity combined with good distortion makes playing the songs easy, instead of wasting 20 minutes trying to get it to sound right then giving up. This pedal works well with the amp and guitar I have, and I plan on using it for a lot longer. Nothing I wanted to know. Just tried it at the store and got it the next day. I would definetly look for another one if it got stolen/lost. Definetly love how over the top the hiss and spit is, and the feedback sounds intense for outros when holding down chords. Great sustain, great reliability, overall awesome. Only thing I wish it had was a pedal like a Boss, as opposed to the button that you step on. // 10

FX69B Grunge Reviewed by: TomD03, on september 25, 2005

Ease of Use: It's very very user friendly, there's volume, treble, bass and Grunge knobs. It uses 1x9V battery, which is easily changable with/from the compartament at the top, or you can use an AC adaptor. Very straight-forward. // 10

Sound: The sound is nice, it gives great lows and beautiful highs, great for soloing, but also perfect for making the perfect rhythmic guitar groove. But if you crank your knobs too high, it can actually get quite feedback, but I guess that's to be expected. // 9

Reliability & Durability: To be honest, I would use this with a backup, since my battery slot doesn't even work anymore so I can only use the AC adapter function. But the pedal itself is a tank, I've dropped it oh-so-many times onto my concrete floor in the practice room, and it still works great. // 7

Overall Impression: As a very broad musician (I play everything from blues to metal, jazz to funk, rock to fusion) I like having a reliable distortion pedal which blends good sound, ease of use and a certain reliability. This pedal reaches and exceeds the expectation. I never actually use the "Grunge" function of the pedal, I just use it for the staight-up, balls-to-the-wall growl and fuzz it gives. But, to be honest, if it were stolen, nah I wouldn't get another one. I'd go for something a bit nicer, a bit more reliable on the electronic side. // 7

FX69B Grunge Reviewed by: Kaleb352, on march 06, 2006

Purchased from: Dave's Music

Ease of Use: The Grunge pedal is really easy to use. It has a volume, low, high, and Grunge knobs. Even though it has four knobs, you can only get one or two sounds from it. It is either bassy or trebley scalling Overdrive. // 9

Sound: This pedal is all about distortion! It is really good for playing rhythm or playing insane solos. I play lots of nirvana, and my band plays alot of punk/grunge/emo music. I use a 1965 epiphone SG with a Crate halfstack and a series of other pedals including DigiTech DF7 and Death Metal and a CryBaby classic. Just with the Grunge pedal I can play anything Nirvana (except slow clean songs) really well. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The Grunge pedal is very sturdy. I've used it in all my gigs and it has not broke. the battery needs replacing after a few long uses, but most people have an adpter or power block. // 9

Overall Impression: I play everthing grungy and punk. This pedal is perfect for me. I can even get tones from AC/DC to Hawthorn Heights. I've been playing for four or five years and only a few single effect pedals can compete. Even though this pedal suits me if mine were lost or stolen I would buy the DigiTech version. // 8

FX69B Grunge Reviewed by: Swap-Meet, on september 07, 2006

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: First off the FX69B DOD Grunge pedal is a great for the price I paid. I was able to get a close sound to what I originally want very quickly so that was easy, all round it's really easy to use. The knobs are simple and everything. The battey's in a good place too. // 10

Sound: My set up is very simple my amp and guitar are from the Crate tour pack. I wasn't able to get 100% the sound I wanted cause I don't have the guitar that I need for my sound or the amp but it is a great pedal for my Grunge band. The sound I get is very similiar to Nirvana. The distortion is very good very raunchy it's also good if you want to give some feedback. // 9

Reliability & Durability: For the time I've had it it seems very durable. It's really solid. I would use it at a gig without a backup simply because I'd rather by another effect pedal before buying backups. Also I'd use it without a backup at a gig just cause it's the osund that I need for my band and it will fit in well. // 9

Overall Impression: I play grunge/alternative/punk mostly and it's a really great match for my band I really like it so I'm happy. I've been playing for about nine months and that's basically all of my gear a Crate tour pack a cool strap and cable and my pedal. I probably wouldn't of asked anything before bidding on this pedal cause it's just simple it's not a very great all around pedal it's really good for what the title of the pedal is. I probably would buy it again if it got stolen/or if I lost it just cause it's not very expensive and I already know what it sounds like. I guess it would be nice if this pedal was better for different styles of music but then again when I bid on it I had a great idea of what it would be good for. // 9

FX69B Grunge Reviewed by: Robert353, on june 06, 2008

Ease of Use: It's a great pedal for beginners, it has High, low, Grunge, and volume knobs. It's pretty simple to put in a great sound and you can also combine many settings. I didn't recieve a manual for it. It's easy to use, but sounds not that great. It's an ok pedal, but souldn't be considered by intermediate guitarists. // 5

Sound: I have used it with a Fender Squire Stratocaster plugged into a Johnson Rep-tone 15 amp. It can get as noisy as you like, but it doesn't get a nice creamy distortion. If you turn the settings up you get a nice noisy sound, but if you turn it down you can use it as a volume booster. The effects aren't weak, but it sounds a little "boxed" so it doesn't sound all that great. No, I can't get the sound of any of my favorite artists. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I don't think I could depend on it and I wouldn't use it on a gig. It's not that great sounding and I don't use it in any of my songs. It kinda reminds me of my DigiTech Grunge but it sounds crappier but I guess it won't last. It doesn't have great reliability or duribility. // 2

Overall Impression: I play Alternative Punk and this match isn't made in heaven. I've been playin for over three years and I own much better distortion pedals than the DOD Grunge. I wished I had heard how it sounds before purchesing this product. If it were stolen, I wouldn't care. I don't really love anything about it, cept that I could probably give it away to a friend Who's begining out. I compared it and it sounds inferior to my DS-1. I choose it because I thought it might be better than my DigiTech Grunge pedal. I wish it had better distortion. // 2

FX69B Grunge Reviewed by: Anchoret, on december 01, 2008

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: "How easy is it to get a good sound out of it?" Impossible, I'd say... but any nitwit can make it work, and with the final models he can't even easily lose the battery cover, which was the big gripe with earlier DOD pedals. At unity gain, the gregious noise is not as bad, so fiddling about with the two outer knobs may get you a clean enough signal to use for something. // 8

Sound: This thing shows up in every "Worst pedals of all time" list, without fail. It's loud, noisy, muddy, awful and distorted beyond any possible usefulness and destroys all string definition, so it naturally held wild appeal for every middle-school kid with a new Chinese axe and fuzzy 10W practice amp for about ten years. When DigiTech absorbed DOD and converted some of the most popular DOD pedals to SMT, the Grunge stayed in the lineup. No, Cobain *never* used this pedal. It's a total myth, duh. I give it a 2 because, incredibly, there really are a couple of distortion stomps out there that are even worse, such as the immortal, horrifying DOD FX86B. // 2

Reliability & Durability: I'm told that there are people Who have actually broken these, but I'm at a loss to imagine how. The plastic stomp plate is more rugged than it looks and the potmetal case is nearly bulletproof. The steel bottom plate is robust and well-secured. The pots and jacks are box-mounted and the through-mount printed circuit board is well-executed. The battery is properly secured with a decent clip. Despite the circuit's complexity, I have not nown of one of these to fail. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been using stompboxes for over forty years and I can't really think of a single use for this thing. I got it as a joke and because I always found DOD circuits to be interesting and complex. I can't really imagine why they went to the effort to design this -- but they sold a huge number of them to someone, presumably purely on the goofy presentation and then-faddish name. // 2

FX69B Grunge Reviewed by: azurexdragon23, on january 10, 2011

Purchased from: Daddy's Junky Music

Ease of Use: I've had the pedal for a year now, and I thought that it was easy to set up from the box...well it was more of a bag because I bought it used. It comes with a manual to help you get started with your tone and all, but I just threw it away, I'm not a huge fan of the Melvins and their sound isn't that great to me. It took about 15 minutes to rig it to what was perfect for me when I got it. // 9

Sound: For me this is an easy pedal to get a good crunch from. I'm playing through a no name amp, I'm saving up for a Peavey, and a Epiphone Les Paul Speacial II. It can be overwhelming if you don't have the right set ups, but after tinkering with it for maybe 10 minutes to an hour depending on how exact you are you can get great tones. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I used this at a gig without a back up, and at the party things were out of hand and it managed to withstand many drunk people and at one point being thrown across the room, so I would give this a 10. If you're looking for a hard crunch with a pedal that can take a crunch, this is for you. // 10

Overall Impression: I'm in a Nirvana tribute band, but I'm also just in a Rock/Metal band and this works well for both groups. If I lost it or something happened I would replace it immediatley, its the only overdrive/distortion on my board and it probobly will be the only one for a long time. // 10

Comments