FX75C Stereo Flanger Review

2,509
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
FX75C Stereo Flanger Reviewed by: eddiehimself, on july 09, 2013

Purchased from: Johnny Roadhouse Music

Ease of Use: This pedal is the third revision of the series, hence the "C". I find this to be a pretty easy pedal to use. You basically just plug it in and you can get a pretty decent sound with all the knobs just on half. Once you've set the level right, there are only 3 other settings to worry about, and they are pretty self-explanatory if I'm perfectly honest. You've got the frequency of the effect, the depth, and something called regeneration. This knob is not easy to explain in simple terms, but it baically allows you to dial in anything from a soft chorus sound to a full-on, almost Phaser like sound. // 9

Sound: I have used this in both mono and stereo using my Peavey tube amp as well as my bass amp, with both active and passive guitars. I find the sound on this is really rather versatile. As I mentioned previously, tweaking the settings can give you either a really lush stereo chorus sound, or alternatively you can go full on and get something that almost resembles a Phaser pedal. I find this pedal gives you a great representation of the clean guitar sound on "Master Of Puppets" if you have it set nice and slow and not too deep. Alternatively, you can set it a lot faster to give yourself a really warbly sound like the one on Nirvana's "Come as You Are". I think this pedal is possibly slightly noisy, but not excessively so. I have noticed how if you use it with distortion, the distortion seems to become a lot louder. It's possible that I just need to turn the level down a bit though to compensate. Otherwise, it's a great sounding pedal. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is a good few years old now, but one thing I've noticed is that the switch seems to prefer being operated in a special way before it will work. I think it could do with possibly being a bit more durable, but otherwise the pedal is still going strong in every other respect. The other problem with this pedal is some odious individual in the past decided to rip off the rubber bottom and replace it with some nasty velcro. One day I may find this to be useful if I ever get a velcro pedal board, but right now, it's a bit of an annoyance. // 7

Overall Impression: I tend to go for metal music from all the eras, modern and 1970s/80s. What I have found is that this pedal is excellent for giving you that thrash-metal type clean tone, but you can also set it to be slightly more subtle, for a more modern type of clean sound. I don't think there is much else I could ask for from this pedal, it basically does exactly what it says on the tin. If you're looking for your first modulation effect, without any unnecessary complications or loads of computerised equipment hidden away, you will find this is simple to use and covers most of the bases as far as simple modulated sounds are concerned. // 8

Comments