FX86 Death Metal Distortion review by DOD

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
DOD: FX86 Death Metal Distortion

Purchased from: musician's friend

I'm running my Epi"clone" SG though it and a Jimi Hendrix Crybaby Wah. Into a Fender Frontman 15G (Yes I know bad amp but it still sounds fairly good). All unwanted noise that happens when I play with it is amp related nothing bad noise coming out of the pedal. It sounds much better when you run it into a good tube amp. The low on the pedal is mediocre, the mid on it is fairly good, the high is really good but can be a bit excessive at times. Ive been able with this pedal to fairly replicate the sounds of The Misfits, Slayer, Metallica, Cradle Of Filth, Burzum, and some of Blink 182. It all depends on how you work the knobs to get the desired sound. The Wah as a filter makes it sounds a lot better.

It's a great match for the music that I play (Melodic Death Metal, Black Metal, and Punk Rock). I've been playing for 13 months now and all I own in the Wah pedal and my little practice amp. If it were to get lost or stolen I would instantly replace it, no questions. I love the sound and tone it produces, especialy with the wah as a filter. I hate the chassis and how hard it is to turn on sometimes. My favorite feature by far are controls, and how it allows you to manipulate your sound how you want to. The only thing I can really ask for is a better chassis. Another thing that would make this pedal better than all other ones( along with a better chassis) would be more EQ controls than 3. 3 is great but if it had say 4-6 it would be just that much better. I feel everone should have one. I feel that it is very versatile and at $50.00 USD its very inexpensive.

The pedal itself is physical poorly made. It isn't nearly as good as a Boss. After time of use/abuse it will probably get messed up. Mine is fine, but Ive only had it for about 5 months and only use it every now and then. At a gig I would certainly use it without a backup. If your pedal looked really banged up and like it's about to break any second now, then buy a back up or better yet sell it for like 5-10 bucks and buy a new one. They don't cost a lot.

The DOD DMD is just like all other distortion pedals. You have to try different things to get the sound you want. It has low, mid, and high knobs so you can control all the distortion. The manual is awful. In reality though you dont need it. The pedal is self-explanatory.