FX86 Death Metal Distortion review by DOD

DOD: FX86 Death Metal Distortion

Purchased from: Central Music SA, TX

I have used this on an assortment of different amps, and guitars. It's clocked many hours through an 70's Marshall Half stack, and a 98 Fender Strat. It made my little single coils much heavier than they could achieve on their own. It's also had many hours on a Les Paul copy, and a Crate G series combo. I think the tones are great. As stated, it is mainly a distortion for heavier Metal music, but I have found it does great of 90's style punk rock as well. My only complaint is it is very noisy. I love the crunchy tones, but the constant buzzing gets to be infuriating coupled with the feedback whenever one has a rest in The Music. Especially when played with single coil pickups!

I play mainly a Progressive Metal variant. But I write, and play, just about everything when the mood strikes. This pedal was very good years ago when it was just myself, and some friends, jamming for fun in the garage. As I moved on to playing Live, and the venues got bigger, I had to part ways with it. The feedback it produces gets to be too much when it echoing through out a larger area. I have replaced it with a DigiTech Grunge pedal for now. It seems to give me all the tones I need, whether it be heavy for rhythm, or lighter for lead. All in all, it's a great pedal. I wish they would come put with a version with a lot less feedback. I would use it as a main distortion if that were the case!

This is the most solidly built effects pedal I've ever owned. Nothing has every broken or chipped due to it's extremely Solid Metal housing. It's been shoved in back packs, gig bags, thrown in equipment boxes, dropped more times than I can remember, stomped on way harder than I had intended many times, and it is still in perfect working order. If it weren't for the feed back I'd use it with out a back up. Nothing to do at all with it's design or durability.

This pedal is extremely easy to use. It's four knobs are pretty easy to understand, and to manipulate. It's good for a series of different tones fairly easily. I never actually read the manual. I would imagine anyone with a little experience with any type of equalizer will be able to under stand it's operation in no time at all.