YJM308 Overdrive review by DOD

DOD: YJM308 Overdrive

Purchased from: Second-hand from a friend

I use this pedal with my little 15-watt amp and a Squier SG. It's loud enough to play almost any kind of rock with, but it's not really sufficient for metal. For metal I'd recommend the Boss Metal Zone MT2. I can get the sounds of Skillet and Creed easily that's when it's fully boosted, where I always leave it. The sound is quite good. You would probably want to have some other pedals to use with this if you are playing anything other than Creed-type music (alternating between straight sound and full-on heavyness). One complaint I have is that when you stomp it, it takes about a quarter of a second to switch to fuzz. This can be annoying, but after about a week I learned to foresee when I'd need the distortion and time it accordingly. So for that, I give it a three but it would have been four otherwise.

I play modern rock/industrial/metal. It's not quite as heavy as I'd like for some songs, but it gets the job done. It would be better if you could adjust the EQ on it. But if you're running it through a good amp with a distortion effect, it'll be okay. I've been playing electric guitar for about 2 years now. I also own a Yamaha RBX370 bass. I don't regret the purchase at all. If it was stolen, I'd probably go and buy the Digifex multi-effect pedal, or the Boss MT2 Metal Zone. I love that it's easy to use. I hate that it doesn't sound as heavy as I'd like. Also I don't like the fact that it's yellow. My favorite feature would be the ease of use. I haven't compared it to anything else, I just bought it second-hand off a friend of mine dirt cheap, and it turned out that it sounded great. I wish it had an EQ adjuster and more distortion.

It's very reliable, I'd absolutely use it without a backup. This thing's never gonna die.

The pedal is easy to use. Just crank the tone and drive, and adjust the volume to match your un-amplified sound.