YJM308 Overdrive review by DOD

DOD: YJM308 Overdrive

Purchased from: eBay

I use this with a single channel amp, and with humbucker loaded guitars. The only other "effect" I use with this Overdrive is a pedal tuner. This is not a versatile pedal. It is a single-opamp boost pedal - it is made to be put into the front of a slightly overdriven valve amp, and stepped on for a singing lead tone. It is kinda like a tube Screamer in that if you use it with a solid state amp, or even with a really clean valve amp, it will just sound like a broken AM radio. In fact, it sounds like a tubescreamer in a lot of ways - it adds dirt and level, and removes some of the low end to keep the sound articulate and stop it getting muddy - where it differs from a TS-style pedal is that it is much less compressed and much less nasal, and has a much more articulate Pick attack. I like how this sounds so much that I really want to give it a 10, but I can't do that because I know it's not a perfect match for every amp, or for every style. It does that singing classic metal lead tone perfectly. If you want something that will do that for you - and if you already have good gear and good chops, then this pedal is a 10 for sound. There is no true bypass, but I can't hear any tone-suck when it's off.

I actually bought this kind of just as a toy. It was available on ebay for. I do like Yngwie, but I'm certainly not trying to copy him with what I do. I just like playing crude, sleazy hard rock. When I got it, I tried it out with my amplifiers and was just floored by what I heard. It is now a permanent part of my live rig.

I haven't had a problem with it. I happily gig without a backup. That said, I'm not the sort of player who is dependent on his pedals - if it DID break right before a show, I'd just make do with the guitar plugged straight into the amp. So far that hasn't happened and I don't anticipate that it will.

This is a boost pedal. It has 2 knobs - Gain and Level. How much simpler can you get? Oh yeah, there's also a footswitch you gotta step on to turn it on and off.. It could possibly benefit from an LED to show whether it's off or on. There's really nothing else to add here, but UG wanted me to add 22 characters :P