YJM308 Overdrive review by DOD

DOD: YJM308 Overdrive

Price paid: A$ 80

Purchased from: Ebay

I use it with a Marshall MG100HDFX. I have 3 guitars. 2 Ibanez RG's and a Epiphone SG with EMG's. It can get very noisey when using it as a gain boost for an already overdriven amp (which is how Yngwie uses it) but if you tinker with the knobs you can get the right sound with little hiss and then a Boss NS-2 or ISP Decimator can filter out the rest :). As a clean boost for a over driven amp it's very quiet (clean boost is when levels all the way up and the gains all the way down if ya didn't know). You can get a perfect Yngwie sounding tone from when he started using this pedal instead of the DOD 250. The DOD 250's a little bit smoother so if your looking for the super early tone from his first 7 or so albums get the original.

I play metal and this thing is perfect for a lead boost. It's also very good for a 70's sounding over Drive and a clean boost for blues and jazz. I have been playing for 6 years and this pedal is the first I have bought that I'm truely proud of buying. I will sometimes look at it and smile at the fact that it sounds great as well as being the cheapest pedal I own. If it was stolen I would buy another. I hate the fact that it has very thin wires and that theres no LED or a True Bypass footswitch. That being said it was intended to be a Vintage design with none of those features. I have compared it to a DOD 250 clone and this pedal I'm afraid isn't as nice as the other because it adds a great deal more treble which makes it slightly more harsher where as the DOD 250 clone is alot smoother and has less hiss. I'm going to buy another YJM308 soley for the purpose of Velcro-ing it to the top of a Roland Micro Cube practice amp. Clean channel with the pedal's volume over halfway and the Gain 1/4 of the way up is THE BEST for practicing ;).

I would say it's very reliable but looking inside to see how it was built changing batteries must be done with exetreme care because the wires are very thin and the solder joints for the battery snap on mine is super thin. Other than battery changes it's completely reliable the battery lasts a long time, the knobs are smooth and sturdy and the footswitch seems fairly strong and has withstanded over 250 presses no problem.

It is very easy to get a good sound. Not only that but for a 2 knob pedal it is very versitile. It's perfect for a simple over Drive as well as a clean boost and a gain boost for solo's and other leads playing. Using it on a clean channel with the volume up a little over halfway and the Gain 1/4 of the way up is the best for when practicing scales and solo's because the signals strong and cosistant as well as having a small bit of gain so if you accidently hit a string your not meant to you can Pick up on that mistake and fix it up.