YJM308 Overdrive Review

manufacturer: DOD date: 11/11/2010 category: Guitar Effects
DOD: YJM308 Overdrive
The YJM308, which uses Yngwie's initials in its name, features Gain and Level controls and a bypass footswitch.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.8
 8,634
reviews (6) 5 comments vote for this gear:
YJM308 Overdrive Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 22, 2007

Purchased from: Muscian's Friend

Ease of Use: DOD has produced an extremely versitile pedal in the YJM308 Overdrive. Whether you're looking for Yngwie Malmsteen's signature tone by running it in front of a gain channel or trying to attain a bluesy, biting tone by using it with the clean channel, this pedal comes through perfectly. First off, you have to know a little about Yngwie's setup if you're looking for his tone. He uses this over a gain channel, which produces massive amounts of distortion, but somehow the clarity is amazing, perfect if you want every note to be heard in your sweep arpeggios. (And I assume you do.) It takes a while to find the perfect combination of settings between the amp and the pedal, but I find that it's best if you turn the amp gain up half way and then turn the two knobs, Gain and Level up to about five o'clock. My pedal did not come with a manual but with only two knobs, it isn't that hard to work. My one complaint would be the lack of LED indicator to tell you whether it is on or off. This is a small problem though and you just have to remember if you have it switched on or off. // 9

Sound: I am using this with a Fender Standard Strat with a Dimarzio twinblade humbucker in the bridge position (I'm not sure what Dimarzio calls this type of pickup, but I know that Carvin calls them twinblade, so I'll go with that). I am playing out of a Carvin solid state 120 combo. This pedal very noisy when you are not playing, due to the necessity of having to run it over a gain channel. However, it does not feedback, but there is just a waterfall sort of sound. When using it on a clean channel, there is next to no noise. Obviously, I can get Yngwie Malmsteen's tone perfectly with this pedal, and am quite happy, because I have been forever trying to find ways to emulate his tone. The only downside to this is probably the waterfall noise when you are not playing, but it's something that I'm willing to deal with, and when you're not playing, it's not all that hard to turn off the pedal. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would use this at a gig without a backup for sure. It's built like a brick house and I would rely on it completely. Extra batteries, however would be necessary. It's always good to bring extra batteries if you're using a stompbox with no adapter. The thing about the adapter is that it has a very odd hole and I'm pretty sure that you would need a very very specific adapter and I've looked online and haven't been able to find one. I'm still in the process but if I can find one I guess I'll just have to be going to gigs with a couple batteries on hand. // 9

Overall Impression: I play Metal, Rock, Blues, Classical, and Jazz and it works great for anything that requires distortion. I have been playing for six years and have used a Boss DS-1 Distortion and an Ibanez Tubescreamer. The DOD outperforms them both, although I think that I could get a great sound out of running the DOD and Tubescreamer simultaneously. If it were stolen or lost I would do my best to find it, but would most definitely buy another one. I have already incorporated it into my setup and is no needed to achieve the tone that I love. I love the clarity of this pedal. I'm very into sweep picking and fast little runs were every note needs to be heard and this pedal brings every note out without drowning it in unnecessary gain. I saw this on Musician's Friend and just had to buy it. There was no question. I knew that this would be the pedal for me, and it is. I'm kinda bumming about the no LED, but it's worth it to get this perfect tone. If you want to get a tone that embodies neo-classical metal, then the DOD YJM308 is right for you. // 9

YJM308 Overdrive Reviewed by: darkarbiter7, on november 26, 2007

Ease of Use: Easy to use pedal, one knob for level, one for gain. Mine didn't come with a manual, as it was used, but you really wouldn't need one. This pedal will be easy to use if you have another OD pedal to run along with it. This pedal was not meant to be your sole source of overdrive. I will delve into the sound a bit more later. // 9

Sound: I'm using it with a strat and a Peavey classic, I also like to run my Fab OD along with it. First off, this gives your tone a lot of bite, so don't run it alone on the clean channel. If you have a bassy dirty channel, the DOD will be great with it. what I like to do, is turn the gain and level up on the DOD (right before it starts to get noisy), and put a Dano Fab OD with the OD on zero, and the level at about 3 o clock, or whatever level to balance out the volume. This way, you get the pristine and defined highs (from the DOD), with the roaring low end and midrange hump of the FAB. It's a reasonably noisy pedal at certain settings. Just keep the gain below 12 o clock, and it won't add much noise. The DOD is perfect for pushing your strat into metal territory or giving your LP some definition. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The thing is a brick. It can be used as a hammer when none else are available. I would gig without a backup, but with the price, I'd get a couple to use as boosts with your other effects. You can put your life in it's hands, but the knobs are plastic, but that's no problem. The knobs are a bit too close together, so in the middle of a song, make sure not to knock them out of place. Maybe sub out for some smaller knobs. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a good pedal for any pedal board. It gives you control over the clipping of your high end. I would buy it again, as it's not too expensive. I like how it can give you great definition no matter what your rig is. I wish it had an led and True bypass with it stock, but the guy before me modded it already, so that's sweet. // 9

YJM308 Overdrive Reviewed by: metalhead v9.3, on december 17, 2004

Purchased from: Second-hand from a friend

Ease of Use: The pedal is easy to use. Just crank the tone and drive, and adjust the volume to match your un-amplified sound. // 8

Sound: I use this pedal with my little 15-watt amp and a Squier SG. It's loud enough to play almost any kind of rock with, but it's not really sufficient for metal. For metal I'd recommend the Boss Metal Zone MT2. I can get the sounds of Skillet and Creed easily that's when it's fully boosted, where I always leave it. The sound is quite good. You would probably want to have some other pedals to use with this if you are playing anything other than Creed-type music (alternating between straight sound and full-on heavyness). One complaint I have is that when you stomp it, it takes about a quarter of a second to switch to fuzz. This can be annoying, but after about a week I learned to foresee when I'd need the distortion and time it accordingly. So for that, I give it a three but it would have been four otherwise. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's very reliable, I'd absolutely use it without a backup. This thing's never gonna die. // 10

Overall Impression: I play modern rock/industrial/metal. It's not quite as heavy as I'd like for some songs, but it gets the job done. It would be better if you could adjust the EQ on it. But if you're running it through a good amp with a distortion effect, it'll be okay. I've been playing electric guitar for about 2 years now. I also own a Yamaha RBX370 bass. I don't regret the purchase at all. If it was stolen, I'd probably go and buy the Digifex multi-effect pedal, or the Boss MT2 Metal Zone. I love that it's easy to use. I hate that it doesn't sound as heavy as I'd like. Also I don't like the fact that it's yellow. My favorite feature would be the ease of use. I haven't compared it to anything else, I just bought it second-hand off a friend of mine dirt cheap, and it turned out that it sounded great. I wish it had an EQ adjuster and more distortion. // 8

YJM308 Overdrive Reviewed by: god_that_failed, on february 01, 2006

Purchased from: Local Store

Ease of Use: Two knobs, it doesn't get any simpler. The Gain knob adjusts, guess what, the amount of Overdrive. The level controls volume. Basically, to get the Yngwie tone, crank the gain and volume all the way up. // 10

Sound: I use this with a 1988 Kramer Striker with Seymour Duncan's and the tone is unbelieveable. On a clean channel, you get a very warm drive that isn't too crisp or too bassy. On a distorted channel (or in front of a distortion pedal, like myself) it works as a great signal boost or for solos and stuff. It doesn't give noise, but I do use a noise gate. This is a fantastic Overdrive pedal. Also, people, this is not a distortion pedal, it will not give you a "metal" crunch. Only misinformed players knock on pedals like this for that. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It eats batteries, but once again, I have a power supply on my pedalboard, so no biggie. This pedal is very sturdy feeling as it's made of metal. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all styles and find this pedal suitable for any type of situation that needs Overdrive. If it broke, I'd buy another one. When compared to the DOD 250, this is the hands down winner. It works best with single coils, but it gives humbuckers a sweet, warm tone that has to be heard to be described. Overall, I highly recommend this pedal. // 10

YJM308 Overdrive Reviewed by: jimejames, on july 29, 2010

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: This is a boost pedal. It has 2 knobs - Gain and Level. How much simpler can you get? Oh yeah, there's also a footswitch you gotta step on to turn it on and off.. It could possibly benefit from an LED to show whether it's off or on. There's really nothing else to add here, but UG wanted me to add 22 characters :P // 10

Sound: I use this with a single channel amp, and with humbucker loaded guitars. The only other "effect" I use with this Overdrive is a pedal tuner. This is not a versatile pedal. It is a single-opamp boost pedal - it is made to be put into the front of a slightly overdriven valve amp, and stepped on for a singing lead tone. It is kinda like a tube Screamer in that if you use it with a solid state amp, or even with a really clean valve amp, it will just sound like a broken AM radio. In fact, it sounds like a tubescreamer in a lot of ways - it adds dirt and level, and removes some of the low end to keep the sound articulate and stop it getting muddy - where it differs from a TS-style pedal is that it is much less compressed and much less nasal, and has a much more articulate Pick attack. I like how this sounds so much that I really want to give it a 10, but I can't do that because I know it's not a perfect match for every amp, or for every style. It does that singing classic metal lead tone perfectly. If you want something that will do that for you - and if you already have good gear and good chops, then this pedal is a 10 for sound. There is no true bypass, but I can't hear any tone-suck when it's off. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had a problem with it. I happily gig without a backup. That said, I'm not the sort of player who is dependent on his pedals - if it DID break right before a show, I'd just make do with the guitar plugged straight into the amp. So far that hasn't happened and I don't anticipate that it will. // 10

Overall Impression: I actually bought this kind of just as a toy. It was available on ebay for. I do like Yngwie, but I'm certainly not trying to copy him with what I do. I just like playing crude, sleazy hard rock. When I got it, I tried it out with my amplifiers and was just floored by what I heard. It is now a permanent part of my live rig. // 9

YJM308 Overdrive Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 11, 2010

Price paid: A$ 80

Purchased from: Ebay

Ease of Use: It is very easy to get a good sound. Not only that but for a 2 knob pedal it is very versitile. It's perfect for a simple over Drive as well as a clean boost and a gain boost for solo's and other leads playing. Using it on a clean channel with the volume up a little over halfway and the Gain 1/4 of the way up is the best for when practicing scales and solo's because the signals strong and cosistant as well as having a small bit of gain so if you accidently hit a string your not meant to you can Pick up on that mistake and fix it up. // 10

Sound: I use it with a Marshall MG100HDFX. I have 3 guitars. 2 Ibanez RG's and a Epiphone SG with EMG's. It can get very noisey when using it as a gain boost for an already overdriven amp (which is how Yngwie uses it) but if you tinker with the knobs you can get the right sound with little hiss and then a Boss NS-2 or ISP Decimator can filter out the rest :). As a clean boost for a over driven amp it's very quiet (clean boost is when levels all the way up and the gains all the way down if ya didn't know). You can get a perfect Yngwie sounding tone from when he started using this pedal instead of the DOD 250. The DOD 250's a little bit smoother so if your looking for the super early tone from his first 7 or so albums get the original. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would say it's very reliable but looking inside to see how it was built changing batteries must be done with exetreme care because the wires are very thin and the solder joints for the battery snap on mine is super thin. Other than battery changes it's completely reliable the battery lasts a long time, the knobs are smooth and sturdy and the footswitch seems fairly strong and has withstanded over 250 presses no problem. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal and this thing is perfect for a lead boost. It's also very good for a 70's sounding over Drive and a clean boost for blues and jazz. I have been playing for 6 years and this pedal is the first I have bought that I'm truely proud of buying. I will sometimes look at it and smile at the fact that it sounds great as well as being the cheapest pedal I own. If it was stolen I would buy another. I hate the fact that it has very thin wires and that theres no LED or a True Bypass footswitch. That being said it was intended to be a Vintage design with none of those features. I have compared it to a DOD 250 clone and this pedal I'm afraid isn't as nice as the other because it adds a great deal more treble which makes it slightly more harsher where as the DOD 250 clone is alot smoother and has less hiss. I'm going to buy another YJM308 soley for the purpose of Velcro-ing it to the top of a Roland Micro Cube practice amp. Clean channel with the pedal's volume over halfway and the Gain 1/4 of the way up is THE BEST for practicing ;). // 9

Comments