Metric Bender Modulation Review

manufacturer: Donner date: 09/11/2014 category: Guitar Effects
Donner: Metric Bender Modulation
Great pedal with good price, size and sound.
 Ease of Use: 10
 9.2
 9.3
 1,542
review (1) pictures (2) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Metric Bender Modulation Reviewed by: Austin73, on september 11, 2014

Purchased from: Donnerdeal.com

Ease of Use: Footswitch and 3 knobs - crikey this really doesnt need a manual. Although intensity is a mix knob. Which I love in my modulation pedals as I'm not a full on mod man always nice to have a bit of clean with it. Changing from chorus to flanger to phaser is easy in the dark as its just a 3 way toggle switch so you know exactly where you are. As its knob controls and a switch is so simple I defy anybody to get a good sound out of this within 10 seconds. The manual that comes with it is basic but again this is a pedal with 3 knobs and a switch - you can quite easily use it with out. And it even has the cool black box with magnetic catch - if only I could find a use for them. // 10

Sound: Ok like I have stated before, play lots of different styles '50s rock to nu metal and dub step and I have lots of pedals. Mainly using the Bender with my solid state Fender 212R and various guitars mainly twin humbuckers doing mainly punk and 80's covers. Its a nice and quiet pedal with no discernible tone sucking.

Has three effects: Chorus which is nice and lush without being too processed goes but not from subtle to wacky without being too extreme; Flanger again easy to get a good sound, straight away "Ain't Talkin 'bout Love;" the Phaser, which is nice and "analoguey" never owned a Phase 90 but sure sounds similar to my VST and Multifx versions. Great sounds from a simple pedal. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Ok, using this and now 3 other Donner pedals live. It's the usual 1590a style aluminium case with nice chunky 3pdt footswitch. Knobs nice smooth and a blue LED which doesnt burn your retinas out for once. The paint job seems nice and durable and, as always, I'm happy to gig this one without backup as I'm sure its just as resilient as my other pedals.

Sockets seem of good quality as always and the standard 2.1 mm plastic DC socket is at the top. Happy to stand on this and the others all night with no concern for failure. Friends always seem surprised on the actual quality especially for the price and free delivery. // 9

Overall Impression: This is the 3rd Donner pedal I have bought because I love the price, size and sound, but as I have commented before their colors always seem slightly different to web pics - however the Metric Bender actually is that nice green colour. Sound wise its now helping me replace my Pedaltrain 2 board to something simpler and as equal sounding. I would and have gig with this pedal with no fear and would replace it if lost or stolen. In fact thinking of getting a second one for Incubus style mod in a small board. I love the simple layout and great sound that's so easy to dial in. I don't use my Mod Core or M5 live now as there is no point bringing complexity to achieve same sound live. // 9

Comments