Yellow Fall review by Donner

Donner: Yellow Fall

Purchased from: donnerdeal.com

On the whole, I think the clear sound of Yellow fall can be well applied to nowadays all kinds of music, not just in the traditional style, for analog delay, 25ms-600ms delay time is sufficient to meet the normal needs. I was looking for an inexpensive option for an analog delay. This little number does the job for me. Great old school, smeary, ambiance. Another plus is its size. I have owned a few delay pedals in my many years of playing, I can say that I would recommend the Donner "Yellow Fall Delay" without hesitation to anyone. I have ordered another one for my backup pedal board. Great, sturdy construction, beefy switch, smooth potentiometers, tough metal housing.

It's less than a cost of a movie, and likely more fun. Haven't had it as long as some of my other pieces of gear, but it looks, sounds, and feels well build. No loose parts or connections. Surprisingly nice packaging for such a low dollar item.

I would say the yellow fall is small, compact and smart. The side-mounted jacks are solid, and protrude very little, allowing for a tight pedal board pack. The clear tone of it can be well applied to all kinds of music, and the tone can compete with same expensive similar products. This delay pedal is also a pure analog circuit delay pedal. And maybe it's the smallest analog delay effect ever. Usually analog delay has the warm and natural tone, similar to old-tape effect of adjusting delay effect. So it can be better to embellish the tone, and create the atmosphere of space nature.

There are three function knobs, namely Echo, F.back, and Time. Time is used to set Delay time, turning to the left to make delay speed fast and to the right is to slow the speed. Echo is used to set the delay volume. F.back is to set the repeated notes. When F.back is the smallest, the delay note repeats only once and while F.back is at the largest, it repeats infinitely. Within minutes of plugging in, I'd going from programming my pedal to actually playing again. Inspiration, instinct, interaction, immediacy - all of the things I look for in a good piece of gear. And this certainly falls into that category.

In the practical performance, the tone of Yellow Fall sounds warm and clean, that is the delay effect we often can hear in famous band performance, the mild transposition of the delay make the sound more full and natural.  It is worth mentioning that delay is always very clear sound, but the old analog delay will timbre to turbidity and fuzzy, so that for those guitarists of pursuing clean sound, they prefer digital delay(comparison with the turbidity of traditional analog delay, digital delay is of absolute articulation and brightness). What's more, when I open the case, the Circuit board of Yellow Fall is using CD2399GP (PT2399), professional echo chip.