Original Dragon's Heart Guitar Pick Review

manufacturer: Dragon's Heart Guitar Picks date: 01/22/2015 category: Guitar Effects
Dragon's Heart Guitar Picks: Original Dragon's Heart Guitar Pick
 Ease of Use: 10
 9.4
 9.8
 2,184
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Original Dragon's Heart Guitar Pick Reviewed by: Paul Tauterouff, on january 22, 2015

Purchased from: Amazon

Ease of Use: I normally use a 1.0mm pick, so when I opened the package and really saw how much thicker it was than my normal picks (1 and a half times thicker) I was initially concerned that it would take some time to get used to the thicker 2.5mm pick. My concerns were unfounded though. Thanks to the way the edges are beveled it was super comfortable to play right off the bat. It is very comfortable to play with the semi-pointy tip which was my personal favorite. The super pointed one was too bright and the rounded one while still comfortable just seemed weird to me. That is probably just because I am so used to a slightly rounded. I think these picks are worth checking out. // 10

Sound: This is a super hard 2.5mm thick guitar pick made from Polyamide-imide (whatever that is) and 12% graphite. It is a very hard, stiff pick and has a crisp sharp attack. Notes seem to explode off of the pick. Dragon's Heart say that this pick is specially designed for shredders and jazz players. I have to say it is a nice accurate pick with good tone. It has three different striking surfaces - a round one, semi-pointed and very pointed one. I really liked the semi-pointy one because it has a nice combination of articulation and tone, but the very pointy surface was a little too bright for me. The rounded one sounded okay, but was not of much use to me, so I am giving them a 9 on sound. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This pick is SO hard! It is supposed to last for 1000 hours of play (how do they measure that?) I am not sure about that claim, but after hours of alternate picking shredding with it and throwing in several pick slides that would have trashed most traditional picks, this thing does not have a single mark on it. I feel confident that it will last a very long time under normal use. On their website they have a video of someone grinding it on a carpet and also trying to melt it in a skillet and it come out unscathed. They do the same test with other picks and they did not fare as well. A total 10 on durability! // 10

Overall Impression: Alternate picking seemed easier and faster, unless it is just in my mind? I normally buy less expensive picks, so if I lose one it is no big deal. In fact, I questioned myself for spending so much on a single guitar pick. But instead of just copying the same old school design, the folks at Dragon's Heart Guitar Picks are pushing the envelope and came up with something that I feel truly raises the bar. This pick will inspire you to play more - it's really THAT good! If I lost it I would grab some more. // 10

Comments