535Q Cry Baby review by Dunlop

Dunlop: 535Q Cry Baby

Purchased from: ebay store

Using with either an Ibanez Radius or a Vintage V6, and a Vox AD50VT, and is really gets going with both, and with the strat (V6) you can replicate 'those strat wah sounds' very well. Not noisy unless you put the gain boost on, which then is inevitable. I believe it's true bypass, so no tone sucking, and the effect comes through clearly most of the time, although with older strings it starts to fade, but your tone would anyway. Yes, can get the sounds of my 'favourite artists', Joe Satriani (Who has a few of these, although most of them are modded. It's supposed to be his 'signature' wah, at least he's in the advert pics for it), and basically all those "gwah" type wah sounds, often found in John Petrucci solos. Can range to Clapton and Hendrix well also, not quite Clyde McCoy, but nearly.

I love this wah, I don't think I'll need another one ever. I have been playing 6 years, and always wanted a good wah sound, and this provides almost everything I wanted. I would get this again if it were stolen or lost. I think what I like about it most is that it does so much. It's flaunted as a wah pedal, but it really should be classed in a different section, like MFX, because of the versatility, maybe multi-wah or something. I had a Vox V847 before, and it was very cool, but not as great as this. Only one sound! Mine does sqeak a lot when you wah, but that's just cos it needs oiling!

Like someone else said, you could class this as an offensive weapon, it literally feels like a brick, even the metal has a brick like texture. I doubt it would break if I dropped it. I have a GCB-95 anyway, but I would probably not gig with a backup, it's so well built. I would use a power supply however.

The whole point is for you to play with the knobs, so I wont say it's easy to get a good sound, because you have to play with the knobs, but once you learn what they do you can practically get any wah sound you want. Very versatile, has a hi-to-lo emphasis dial, a sweep range knob, and a decibel addition knob, for use with the "extra distortion" button located on the back, handy for kicking into action during a solo. The manual is very helpful to start you off, offering the settings for famous wah sounds. You can't really be disappointed by what it can't do, because there isn't very much.