535Q Cry Baby review by Dunlop

Dunlop: 535Q Cry Baby

Purchased from: music123.com

I've played the unit extensively, I am currently running it through a Fender Standard Stratocaster (MIA) and a Line 6 PODXT. The pedal is VERY noisy in the toe position(especially if you turn on the DB boost on) if you use any distortion effect(even with a shielded/star grounded guitar with an humbucker). I shielded the pedal thinking it would do nothing (the pedal itself is made of cast iron), I was very wrong, there is no noise at all (the only noise is when using single coil pickups on a high gain setting that has noise without the wah on). I am very pleased with the sound on this unit. You can get lots of different sounds with all the settings. The only thing I don't like is the range is not as big as I would want it to be, but it is acceptable. I rate this 7 because of the noise problem when non modified.

I play psychedelic rock, progressive rock, blues. I have been playing for about 10 years. I own too much stuff to list. Would buy another one for sure if it got lost (even though it's more expensive know then it was 3 years ago)! My favorite features are the various settings on it and it's low price. Oh yes, I compared it to many other products, it seemed the best bang for the buck at the time. Wish it had a bigger range. Giving it a 9, it's well worth the purchase.

It is very solid, cast iron. I'm not scared of pounding on it. In the 3 years I have had it, and I use it a few hours each day I have had 0 problems. The only 2 things here that I will mention is 1: the battery compartment, it is very cheap; the PCB is visible inside the compartment (I use a power plug so I don't worry about it). 2: dust and debris can get in the pedal very easy since there is a huge hole where the potentiometer is and the PCB is not protected in any way. I give it a 8 for the above mentioned reasons.

I purchased this unit new in mid 2005 from Music123.com. It came shipped in a nice box with a manual the pedal and some books to show off other of their products. The manual is short, shows all the features and a few sound settings you can use. It has enough information to get you started. The pedal itself is simple, it has 4 knobs, input/ output, power connector and the battery compartment. It is very easy to use and find a sound. I rate this a 10, nothing complicated about this unit.