535Q Cry Baby review by Dunlop

Dunlop: 535Q Cry Baby

Price paid: C$ 230

Purchased from: Ernie Kings

I run this Wah through a Traynor amp, and I normally us a B.C. Rich Warlock Guitar. I always put the Wah first on my board, the distortion, then whatever effects I feel like using, ending it with a chorus pedal. It does not add much noise to the setup, even with the boast switch activated. The effect is always strong, but if you find that it is to overpowering, then you can turn its effect down. You can get a Clapton sound by just leaving it toe down, and when the mids are cranked, then a Slash sound is easily achievable. Kirk Hammet is not that difficult to get either. This Wah has a very full sound to it, mush better (in my opinion), than any other way that I have played (which includes the "Original", "Kirk Hammett", and one of the Ibanez Wahs). You can achieve a wide range of tones. Warm to Bright and extra poppy. Just don't place anything in front of the pedal.

I've been playing for over 2 years now. I own an acoustic Taylor guitar (I think it is a 100 series, but I can't remember), B.C. Rich Warlock, a Traynor amp (but I'm planning on getting a Marshall amp within the next year), and lots of pedals. I play in a Jazz band for school, and I have two of my own bands which play a mixture of classic rock (i.e.: Hendrix, AC/DC ect.), Blues (BB King), Classic metal (old school Metallica, Skid Row, GN'R etc.), Rock (Creed, Bleaker Ridge etc.). A very rounded set of music. This Wah does it all. If it were lost or stolen, I would buy either this or the Slash Wah in a heartbeat. Love: Tone, feel, looks... Hate: Could have another effect with it. Favorite: The boast switch. It is great for when you need that extra volume when you breakout into a solo. I compared this with 6 or so other wahs, and it came down to this and the Slash wah (Slash is GOD). I eventually settled on this because it had more customization options. I do wish it had the MXR Distortion + unit mixed in with it. Overall, best Wah (aside from the Slash Wah) on the market.

This is a very road worthy pedal. I never bring a backup for it, and if I did, then it would be the same pedal. Very dependable.

This is a very easy pedal to use. Just push your foot down and then you are good to go. It is a bit awkward at first to turn on, but after maybe and hour it is of no issue. The manual is descriptive enough and it comes with several settings that pro players use. Also, it is very easy to adjust your settings to get a wide variety of tones.

ritchie_1987
    Guys, is there any difference in tonal quality between old (18volts) version of this pedal and the current one? Does anybody know? Thanks in advance. Cheers!
    ywloverock
    This wah pedal is good.The effect is great and suits my music. Mine is still in good condition, don't know why it would broke within a week like someone said above...