DB-02 Dimebag Custom review by Dunlop

Dunlop: DB-02 Dimebag Custom

Purchased from: Music Maniac

I'm using this with my B.C. Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge and Kustom Arrow 16DFX amp. My cables are Monster Cables. I've used it with Digital pianos and Synths and even a mic, which makes interesting sounds, so I guess that it's all-around a sweet wah. It can be very noisy, but then that's part of the fun. One of my friends used it with his Les Paul, with EMG 81/85s, and it made some rather awful feedback noises when he was too close to the amp. But that could be fixed by either moving behind the amp, or by adjusting the pickup volumes. But that feedback can be interesting too. I once turned it on when my guitar was still on the stand, and it began emitting a very Tom Morello-like squeal, which could be effected and adjusted by changing my pickup volumes and moving the wah. I ended up recording some of the feedback because it was so cool-sounding. Anyhow, this wah always sounds great. My pickups aren't the best for getting Pinch harmonics and harmonics on the 2nd, 3rd and 9th, but with the pedal closed, the harmonics scream like nothing else! This pedal can easily emulate bands such as Pantera, Damageplan, and other heavy metal bands like BLS, Tool, Slayer, Godsmack and others. Its sound is a little rough for softer rock, but you can get the gist of it. On clean, though, it makes a beautiful, creamy sound, and I use it regularly for Jazz Band gigs to fatten the bass or take an edge off the highs. Or, alternatively, the highs can become piercing. Despite getting this used, the sound is excellent. My parents tried to dissuade me from getting it because it was used, but that was over 4 months ago, and it's still going strong.

I play everything from BLS and Pantera to Tool to Red Hot Chilis to Jazz. this is a good match, perhaps not the perfect match for RHCP and jazz, but it gets the job done. I've been playing guitar for just over a year, and I own a cheap little acoustic, which is nothing less than underrated, in addition to my Mockingbird and Kustom. there's nothing I wish I had asked. It's essentially perfect. Were it stolen or lost, I would find the jerk Who stole it, jam it down his throat, then go get a new one. I love the way it makes the harmonics scream and boosts the tone of them. I also love the sound it makes when I put a synth or a mic through it. It's almost like a talk box. The only thing I could possibly hate is that the on/off switch sometimes sticks. I compared this one to many, many different pedals, such as a Vox, a Morley, Several Ibanezes, other Dunlop ones, a Boss, and others that I don't remember. I chose this one because I love Dimebag, and I thought that it had the best sound. It was also much heavier and It felt more durable. The only thing that I wish it had was a light to tell me if it was on or not. In all, this is an awesome pedal. Dimebag rocks, and I'm sure he's touring all of heaven and hell as we speak.

I'm fairly sure I can depend on it. It's in a fairly rough-and-tumble-worthy metal case, the camo looks fierce, and the only thing that's happened so far to it is that the front badge (which was already loose) fell off, which was fixed by some artfully applied superglue. But it's not a Boss, so I wouldn't kick it down a flight of stairs or anything. I would use it without a backup, and have on several occasions.

Excellently easy to use. I mean, it's a wah, how hard is it? you stomp on the front, then rock out. the sound is absolutely excellent, no problems there. I haven't tried it in an effects loop, but between guitar and amp it works awesome. I got it used, so I don't have a manual. However, Dunlop's website has a PDF version. One suggestion: it eats batteries. Get the adapter.

guy_tebache
    Dude your not the only Australian who uses the site, and I come through Melbourne every now and again. I wanna get the best deal I can, just like every1 else. I've been looking at replacing my cheap chinese vox wah and I've found that this is one of two wahs that John Frusciante uses on his Stadium Arcadium rig (the other is his Ibanez WH-10 that he's had for ages), and thats good enough for me.
    Exodus Fall
    Eddy_In_Chains : Whats the difference in-between the Custom and the Signature The Signature has a boost, wah range selector and a few other options..the Custom has none of those options but has a Fasal Inductora, so it has a better sound..plus it totally kicks ass with Metal!