DB-02 Dimebag Custom Review

manufacturer: Dunlop date: 10/13/2011 category: Guitar Effects
Dunlop: DB-02 Dimebag Custom
Standard wah pedal. It does have the battery access door on the bottom of the pedal so you don't have to unscrew the panel to change the battery.
 Ease of Use: 9.7
 8.9
 9.3
 8.4
 2,412
reviews (3) 13 comments vote for this gear:
DB-02 Dimebag Custom Reviewed by: santhony1987, on june 14, 2006

Purchased from: Yo mama!

Ease of Use: The instrument jack goes into the instrument and the amplifier jack goes into your ear! Came with a great quarter page manual that explains what I just said along with the battery installment, tricky stuff. // 10

Sound: OK, this is not the Dimebag wah with all them cool options on it. As I was told by the person who sold it to me it is just an Original Crybaby painted in camoflage which I though was cool. Anyway, I decided to compare both before I chose and Dime won. Why? A couple of reasons. Camouflage looks cool (and I know I can't spell), Dimebag is one of my favs. Here's the crucial one, when I tryed out both pedals which I was told were the same, I noticed a slight difference but didn't want to hurt the salespersons eego so I'll just tell you here. Generally, the wahs are nearly identicle apart from one major aspect which is the Dimebag one had much more intensity with high gain. I wonder why. After noticing this I realised that this wah is generally more capable with higher frequencies, not that its worse than the other in bass. Further investigation led me to believe that they are quite different in sound. I'm not sure if my dime was a bit newer tha the old one, but it did get the sale, you can decide. Anyway, I play metal, high gain capable wahs get a 10. // 10

Reliability & Durability: No backup required I guess. Being a wah pedal, it's not crucial to any guitar part if it breaks down on stage. I don't think it will ever break, but I'm sure I'll have to replace the pot eventually, no biggy. It still gets an 8 'cause it's got nothing on Boss pedals for this sorta section. // 8

Overall Impression: I had to have the Dime Camo one, but bugger a wah pedal with lots of features. That ain't the point of owning the most used yet most simple of all effects. I suggest you atleast try this one out if you want to buy a crybaby. I'm positive there is a slight difference. Kudos to Dunlop for making my favorite wahs. // 9

DB-02 Dimebag Custom Reviewed by: Kid Fisto, on march 31, 2007

Purchased from: Music Maniac

Ease of Use: Excellently easy to use. I mean, it's a wah, how hard is it? you stomp on the front, then rock out. the sound is absolutely excellent, no problems there. I haven't tried it in an effects loop, but between guitar and amp it works awesome. I got it used, so I don't have a manual. However, Dunlop's website has a PDF version. One suggestion: it eats batteries. Get the adapter. // 9

Sound: I'm using this with my B.C. Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge and Kustom Arrow 16DFX amp. My cables are Monster Cables. I've used it with Digital pianos and Synths and even a mic, which makes interesting sounds, so I guess that it's all-around a sweet wah. It can be very noisy, but then that's part of the fun. One of my friends used it with his Les Paul, with EMG 81/85s, and it made some rather awful feedback noises when he was too close to the amp. But that could be fixed by either moving behind the amp, or by adjusting the pickup volumes. But that feedback can be interesting too. I once turned it on when my guitar was still on the stand, and it began emitting a very Tom Morello-like squeal, which could be effected and adjusted by changing my pickup volumes and moving the wah. I ended up recording some of the feedback because it was so cool-sounding. Anyhow, this wah always sounds great. My pickups aren't the best for getting Pinch harmonics and harmonics on the 2nd, 3rd and 9th, but with the pedal closed, the harmonics scream like nothing else! This pedal can easily emulate bands such as Pantera, Damageplan, and other heavy metal bands like BLS, Tool, Slayer, Godsmack and others. Its sound is a little rough for softer rock, but you can get the gist of it. On clean, though, it makes a beautiful, creamy sound, and I use it regularly for Jazz Band gigs to fatten the bass or take an edge off the highs. Or, alternatively, the highs can become piercing. Despite getting this used, the sound is excellent. My parents tried to dissuade me from getting it because it was used, but that was over 4 months ago, and it's still going strong. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'm fairly sure I can depend on it. It's in a fairly rough-and-tumble-worthy metal case, the camo looks fierce, and the only thing that's happened so far to it is that the front badge (which was already loose) fell off, which was fixed by some artfully applied superglue. But it's not a Boss, so I wouldn't kick it down a flight of stairs or anything. I would use it without a backup, and have on several occasions. // 9

Overall Impression: I play everything from BLS and Pantera to Tool to Red Hot Chilis to Jazz. this is a good match, perhaps not the perfect match for RHCP and jazz, but it gets the job done. I've been playing guitar for just over a year, and I own a cheap little acoustic, which is nothing less than underrated, in addition to my Mockingbird and Kustom. there's nothing I wish I had asked. It's essentially perfect. Were it stolen or lost, I would find the jerk Who stole it, jam it down his throat, then go get a new one. I love the way it makes the harmonics scream and boosts the tone of them. I also love the sound it makes when I put a synth or a mic through it. It's almost like a talk box. The only thing I could possibly hate is that the on/off switch sometimes sticks. I compared this one to many, many different pedals, such as a Vox, a Morley, Several Ibanezes, other Dunlop ones, a Boss, and others that I don't remember. I chose this one because I love Dimebag, and I thought that it had the best sound. It was also much heavier and It felt more durable. The only thing that I wish it had was a light to tell me if it was on or not. In all, this is an awesome pedal. Dimebag rocks, and I'm sure he's touring all of heaven and hell as we speak. // 10

DB-02 Dimebag Custom Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 13, 2011

Purchased from: My Dad (I'm Serious)

Ease of Use: It's got a standard Dunlop Wah setup, no fancy buttons on the side (for those who mistook this for the Crybaby from Hell). Just plug and play. // 10

Sound: For starters, I'd like to introduce why this isn't a standard Wah (comparing to the Dunlop GCB-95) with a fancy packaging. This is the economy model that Dime and Dunlop designed. It features the "ideal" sound that Dime would have used. It has a wide sweeping range, much further than the standard Wah in both highs and lows, and equipped with the Fasel Inductor, giving it that true Wah sound. This thing works great for metal players looking to play it loud n' proud, but I give it an 8 because it doesn't fit my style of traditional hard rock (the extended range is a bit too much for my tastes, i prefer the GCB-95F) // 8

Reliability & Durability: Like most great quality items, it's built like a tank. Great quality metal housing and you could probably throw it off a two story building and have your parents run it over with their H3 Hummers. (but I wouldn't try it, lol) // 10

Overall Impression: I play more traditional hard rock/heavy metal mixed with a little old school thrash (metallica/megadeth) and a little bit of the new alternative metal as a side influence. I use a couple of customized Jacksons, both equipped with EMG 81-85's and EMG Afterburners (for a lead gain boost), both tuned to E Standard and D standard respectively, and a Peavey 5150 wired through a Marshall 1960A Cab. If this was stolen, I'd probably go buy either my original GCB-95F again, or try an actual Crybaby from Hell or maybe a ZW Crybaby. I like experimenting with my sound. I do like the killer liquid sound this pedal gives off, especially the screaming highs, but could do without the super lows. I purchased this from my dad for two reasons, 1 being I had sold off a bunch of gear to pay rent, and 2, I like my Wah wahs. So if your into more of an extreme form of metal, and like really low tuned guitars and lots of gain, this pedal would probably rock your world, especially since you can find them at reasonable prices on eBay. // 8

Comments