GCB-95 Cry Baby review by Dunlop

Dunlop: GCB-95 Cry Baby

Purchased from: I got it used

I use (and enjoy) a Gibson Les Paul Classic guitar and Laney Pro-Tube amp. This is the only pedal I have connected at the moment and it does change the sound when it's not turned on. It adds a little more warmth, but it tends to make my overdriven sound a little muddy if I don't turn my middle up. But then again, I like lots of mids so that's not a problem for me, but it would be for others. I play a lot of rock-blues, classic rock and some thrash/heavy metal (not nu-metal and power- speed-, doom metal etc) and this pedal gives a good solo wah, but it lags tone at the higher notes. As a wah it'd not very good at high frets, but I think it's really cool because it sounds like a volume pedal and kind of makes my soloing sound, almost, violin like (with slow playing). I think it's a cool "sound feature", but it's not what a wah is supposed to. It also tends to be a little noisy when "pushed to the metal", but that's only a problem if you want to sustain really long. I got mine used pretty cheap and with cables and this pedal has a really good tone for that price.

Again, I play, blues-rock, classic rock and thrash/heavy metal, and yes, I think it's a good match for soloing. The tone might get a little too screamy for blues rythm, but I don't use it like that. My favorite feature is that it doesn't have any features:) I've been playing for 1-2 years, so I figured that this was a good buy. It wont get stolen, but if it does, I wont have enough cash to get a new one.

It's solid as a rock. I've never gigged with this pedal, but I would use a backup, 'cus you never know. Some people might say that I'm a heavy guy (190cm, 90kg), but this pedal takes my beating pretty good. It doesn't have one single scratch and I think that's really good for a pedal in that pricerange. Good job Dunlop. Not much to say really.

This pedal is really easy to use. There's no EQing, or any buttons to mess around with. It even says: "amplifier" and "instrument" so you know where to connect the amp and your guitar. You turn it on by pushing it hard to the ground and turn it off by pushing it hard to the ground again. Pretty simple.

raul_garza90
    I bought this pedal yesterday and I think that if you dont like the sound you get, its because you're not using an adapter, with it the pedal will give all its power