GCB-95 Cry Baby review by Dunlop

Dunlop: GCB-95 Cry Baby

Purchased from: Guitar Center - Edina, Minnesota

My current setup is: Washburn Maverick BT-4 > Dunlop Cry Baby GCB-95 > Danelectro Fab Distortion D-1 > Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi USA (greatest pedal ever, I might add) > Behringer GMX-212 (100 watts, has two 50-watt Jensen speakers). Once you work with it for a while you can get a very very sweet tone for leads and soloing. Makes any solo sound good. Also very useful for playing psychedelic effects, try using it with a very prominent delay effect, very trippy. I've noticed that the effect for the most part doesn't work on the lowest 2 strings, so it's pretty worthless if you're trying to use it on some heavy riffs. Also, the effect doesn't really work on maybe about the highest 5 or 6 notes on the highest string. Is this infamous "tone sucking" only when it's on? Because I notice no difference between before I owned it and now when I have it off. When it is on though, yes, your tone is drastically different. In my opinion it only sounds sweet when you're actually rocking it, I still haven't found this "sweet spot" people are talking about if you set it around the middle of it's sweep. It is very noisy when it's on with distortion and a bit noisy when there is no distortion, so turn it off if you're going to stop playing for even a second or you'll get this loud humming/hissing noise depending on what position it's in. I noticed if I put it after my distortion pedals, the wah effect is extremely prominent to a point where you cannot even tell what notes you're playing. Something tells me Clapton, Hendrix, Gilmour etc do not have it at after their effects. Put it at the beginning, before all of your effects and it'll still be prominent but your notes will come through clear too, it sounds very professional. With heavy distortion, this thing just rips. Super rich, creamy tone. Good for solos and not much else, but man this thing will make your solos sound incredible. Even just running over blues scales or something. With my Big Muff Pi USA it sounds jawdropping. No wonder the Cry Baby is the best selling pedal of all time.

Like I said, it's incredible for solos, trippy effects & the theme to Shaft but nothing else, so you probably won't be using it a lot (whereas I hardly ever play anything without using my Big Muff Pi). This thing can make crappy solos sound great. Great for beginners or pros. I was either going to buy this or a Morley Power Wah and I asked some people and everybody recommended the Dunlop. It doesn't come with an adapter or a battery, and from Radio Shack a 9V adapter is $15. Kind of steep for a plug with a cord, but worth it. I'm in a band and we play some Sonic Youth type of psychedelic/atmospheric/noise jams which this is perfect for. We also do some Black Flag style hardcore punk and some Melvins/Swans style insanely heavy metal jams. The first time I played a wah pedal was when I got this home, I didn't even try it out in the store. I had just heard so much about this that I went out and bought it immediately. At the time Guitar Center were having a sale and a Danelectro effects pedal was free with any wah pedal so I got a $15 Distortion pedal for free with the Cry Baby. Good deal. Overall if you just want a bargain-priced, simple but very effective wah pedal, this is it. Excellent tone, worth the money in my opinion. Get it.

It's built so sturdy if you hit it with a bat you'd probably break the bat. Throw it at a wall and you'll probably break the wall, etc. One time my friend was kicking it across my carpeting and one of the little rubber stopper/gripper/leg dealies came off the bottom and it was a bitch to get back on. So don't slide it on carpet. I've heard the potentiometer only lasts a year or two, so don't be scared if it stops working if you've had it for a while. Of course I'd use it on a gig without a backup. You think I have enough money to buy another one just in case this one dies?

It will not let me send this review, every time it pops up and says Please write "Easy of Use". And this is the minimum number of "Easy of Use"s that I can put in here to make it send. Obnoxiously easy to use. If you have the wah in the full forward position and you go to stomp on it to turn it on, sometimes the button doesn't click, so just make sure it's all the way back when you turn it on. If that makes sense.

shinzon
    The crybaby is a fantastic pedal.Though the only problem i have with the pedal is that is a nightmare to activate or shut it off, you litterally have to jump on the pedal, do any of you guys have the same issue or is it just a defect on mine??
    guitar_god22
    bluesbarker
    I tried this pedal and it sucks! It's Ok I suppose, but there is very little range compared to some pedals and it drinks batteries. So I bought a Morley Power Wah and they're sooooo much better. (by the way Hendrix used a VOX I beleive)
    Danis1
    im currently looking for a wah pedal and i cant decide what i should get, in whoevers personal opinion what is better DB-01 (Dimebag Darrel Signature wah) or a GCB-95F (CLASSIC crybaby, not the one in this review) ?
    Tedward
    altarofdemise : NiK-117 wrote: i have dis pedal, its well good. wahs arent really designed for super high notes on the e string, i cant name one solo where a wah pedal as used high up the e (past the 14th fret for example) Enter Sandman. I got this pedal and its not versatile at all. The switch to turn it off and on broke. I returned it and it happened again. It also is not true bypass so if it dies, the sound doesnt go through to your amp.
    My bypass switch broke to. Im thinking manufacturer defect? Any help with how to fix this would be nice.
    Shreddin 4 Life
    well, I just realized I was a bit pretentious about saying that throughout his career, Jimi used both Crybaby's & Vox's, so technically ur not wrong claiming he played either...
    S0ulja23
    guitar_god22 wrote: thebrewfan wrote: Shreddin 4 Life wrote: lol The "white thing" on top is just the caution sticker that comes w/ the pedal when u but it new... One thing u guys must know tho, Slash & Hendrix both used Crybaby's in the studio... (the old ones w/ the fiesel chip in them). Hendrix didn't use a Crybaby, he used a Vox you are an idiot. hendrix used a custom crybaby...thats why dunlop now makes a 'jimi hendrix signiture cry baby"
    Pretty sure Hendrix used a Vox Clyde McCoy for most of his career.
    ArcherTheVMan
    Amen! i'm sick of jim dunlop making it out that he used a crybaby.
    ozbozz123
    when i first got mine it was a almost impossible to switch so i just raised the switch by taking a washer out. this pedal rocks!
    Stop Messin'
    I have this and the son of a beesh won't work, which sucks cause the song i'm learning takes lots of wah Maybe i'll set it up again and see whats wrong with it.
    ZGS
    I've had this pedal for over a year and it rules. Built like a tank, and it sounds amazing. It can sound a lil bit weak using a 9-volt, but with an adapter it has a good 'n thick sound; just make damn sure you place it BEFORE the distortion! If it's placed after the dist. it sounds outa wack.
    altarofdemise
    boyofmystery
    yh thebrewfan i was jus about 2 say that...he used Crybaby for a month and Dunlop now say its th hendrix wah...
    thebrewfan
    Hendrix didn't use a Crybaby, he used a Vox
    thunderinblack
    always have your wah first in your chain if you use dist pedals dont put it after them it sounds horrible