GCB-95 Cry Baby review by Dunlop

Dunlop: GCB-95 Cry Baby

Purchased from: Billy Hydes

I run this at the start of a chain including a BD-2 Bluesdriver, a SD-1 Super-Overdrive, a BF-3 Flanger and a FV-500L with a TU-2 attached. If set on it's own there is very little noise, which then makes the Wah much clearer, but run in conjunction with a small Overdrive it becomes a beautiful, clear, pronounced wah, excellent for clas-rock. But you can't really add much else to it as it becomes a tad muddy. The Wah sounds fine through most amps (some are just awful of course) but to truly get the "sound" out of this you need a Stereo amp (which I don't have yet) it gives a much richer sound as well as more the sound I was looking for, I suggest you try this as one of your inspections before buying.

I play just about anything, I draw the line at anything I need to drop tune for though. I use this pedal in conjunction with Funk, Jazz (soloing mostly), classic rock, rock etc. I've already mentioned what other gear I'm using it with, it all runs together fairly well, until you just get silly with the effects. If it were lost or stolen I would definitely consider getting another one, or looking into the Vox equivalent, just for something different. This is just the pedal for me, it does it's job, it does it simply, and it does it well, just what I wanted, but as I say, there is always room for improvement in terms of various amp capabilities.

Very dependable, built fairly tough, I wouldn't go around throwing it off things, apart form all the delicate electronics inside it (all of you Boss users), it's not a brick, as I wouldn't expect it to be, it can stand up to Live playing, it can stand up to just about any playing situation, though it tends to chew through batteries, which is why I run the AC power on all of my pedals, the only problem with this is that I think you need a Dunlop brand AC power for this, as a generic one seems to wiggle loose very easily, which just requires a tiny adjust, but still slightly irritating.

Very straight forward to use, no knobs or switches to turn and twist, just a straight up and down model of a Crybaby, no swell knobs or intensity knobs to worry about, all of this is controlled by your foot. The manual for this doesn't need to explain a whole lot, just about power usage on batteries and AC power as well as care and what-not. Turning the unit on and off is very basic, just push down on the front of the pedal with your foot, to depress a Switch just underneath the toe part of the pedal, which can prove difficult whilst sitting down, but no big deal.