GCB-95 Cry Baby review by Dunlop

Dunlop: GCB-95 Cry Baby

What you get out of this pedal depends a lot upon your rig and setup. In big effects loops, the pedal loses quite a lot of it's tonal range unless you place it near the end. I find that this pedal does lose some tonal range under high gain settings if you are getting this gain from a distortion/overdrive pedal, but that's if you like cranking the gain up full (so if you do, you may want to consider a different wah). If you are just plugging this wah into an amp however, gain does not affect the tonal range. On slighly lower gain settings and clean this wah pedal is simply stunning. I use this pedal on quite low end equipment and it makes it sound a hell of a lot better. You can be sure I will always click it on for a solo, just to sound better. When bypassed this pedal is silent, unfortunately the same cannot be said when it is on. The more treble you apply the more hiss you apply also (only apparent when not playing fortunatley). However keeping it held back on bass does shut it up. If you need to sound like some of your favorite wah-ing guitarists, this pedal will do it for you. This pedal really seems to scream Jimi Hendrix. Also, you can get some really cool/stupid/annoying sounds out of it if you put an EQ right next to it (like sucking all the mids out for example).

Overall this is a Class A wah pedal. It is my favorite pedal and I would not feel complete without it. I play a lot of Guns N' Roses and if I had a Gibson LP and a Marshall stack to go with this I could replace Slash. If you are looking for a simple wah pedal that sounds amazing and gets the job done, this is the one for you. All I can think of that would make this pedal better is if it had some thing to clip the power supply in, and an indicator light to tell you that it's on (even though it's not difficult at all to follow the Status of it, this would just make it look a bit more funky. If this pedal was stolen I would do everything in my power to hunt it down and brick the thief in the head with it; and because of how sturdy it is, I would then go home and have a re-union jam with it. Or if not I would definately buy it again, or maybe buy one of the other Cry Baby models that have adjustable features since I am aquainted with this pedal.

This thing is sturdy as hell. I'm positive this thing could cause brain damage without taking a scratch. It could be dropped, or even thrown at a concrete floor without denting (Mine hasn't taken a scratch after six months). I have gigged this thing a few times and it hasn't failed me at all. Really no need for a backup.

I have had this pedal for 6 months now, and I will share everything I have learnt about it. Firstly, you are going to need to buy the 9V power adaptor for this pedal (really should come with it in my opinion), because if you plan to use battereries, well, buy a lot of them. Right, this is an amazing quality pedal with an excellent tonal range if you use it correctly. This is quite important to remember, as it can sound pretty naff in the wrong rig. If you have got it running properly though you will have hours of fun perfecting this pedal as it has a great sound. You press it toe end down to turn it on/off (a very good quality button). It has two jack holes, which are labelled on the non-slip rubber foot pad. It has a 9V-DC input and four non-slip rubber feet. Easy enough to use without the need for a manual, which is why I'm guessing the don't supply one. The only problem you may have is the power cable coming out. A bit of gaffa tape during a gig will keep you safe though.

lloydstrife
    Yeah my bypass broke after a month... Purchased brand new... Help? Msg me at hardc0re_rocker@hotmail.com
    Ace Frehley
    This wah pedal rocks!I bought it today and it's excellent comparing to other wah's.I personaly play Audioslave and RATM stuff and it suits me well.It's not like the Whammy but it's good