GCB-95 Cry Baby review by Dunlop

Dunlop: GCB-95 Cry Baby

Purchased from: Allegro Music

I am using a Cruiser by Crafter RG600, Stagg GA-15 amp, a DigiTech Bad Monkey and a Denio CH40 Chorus pedal. It isnt noisy. It adds more to your solos, giving that instantly recognizable sound. The effect always sounds great, although it is best used (in my opinion) in the mid and treble positions of the treadle (I.e halfway forward and all the way forward) as when the treadle is rocked right back, the bass response seems kind of pointless and doesnt't add much as it is so hard to hear. I normally use it at the front of my effects chain, directly after my guitar as I prefer it there, although I do occasionally put it after my Bad Monkey and that boosts the wah sound and makes it sound grittier. Literally, within seconds of turning the wah on, I'd got the sound from the begining of Voodoo Chile and the begining of Mr Brownstone. Then I mucked around with it on Nirvana songs and it did sound good. The Wah sound is consistent and only really weak on the Bass strings. It sounds kind of flat when used on the bass strings.

I play blues, Grunge and classic rock and I believe that this is a very good match to these styles. Admittedly it's not often used in Grunge music, but then I'm all for making a song your own, so I just add it in anyway. Obviously for blues and classic rock it's a perfect match. I've been playing for about two and a half years now. I own a DigiTech Bad Monkey and Denio CH40 Chorus pedal and they compliment each other perfectly. I'm not really an effects junkie, I just have what I feel is necessary. If this was stolen or lost I would get another one no question. But I would be tempted to hunt the person Who took my first one and beat them over the head with it. This would cause the victim considerable damage, but I doubt anything would happen to the pedal! I love the simplicity of this pedal. It really is a simple Plug and Play exercise. I also love how easy it is to get that classic sound. I don't hate anything about the pedal as such, but I do have a minor gripe. It's too addictive! Once you get it all you wanna do is use it on every song you play. So there is some skill involved on being able to judge whether the song you are playing could benefit from some wah. I didn't compare it with other products, I kne wi wanted this one. I chose it because it is well built, reviews across the internet recommend it and it was the cheapest on there. I think it's fine, although maybe bass response could be sorted out, although this isnt absolutely necessary.

I'm fairly sure I could rely on it. it's battery hasn't run out yet. The thing is built like a brick sh*thouse, it's really strong. it's made of metal and doesn't slide around at all when I'm using it. It is however extremely heavy, but then it's made to stay put on stage etc so I guess it's got to be. I would definitely gig with this with no backup, because I don't think it's gonna fail on me. I would take a spare battery simply as a precaution though.

When I plugged this wah in and turned it on, I strummed all the strings and instantly got the wah sound I'd grown to know and love. It really is extremely easy to get a good sound out of this pedal, with minimal effort. There isnt a manual that came with it as such. It comes witha couple of leaflet type things that tell you how to use it and give you a suggested set up in the vein of Jimi Hendrix. This wasn't a bad idea though, because it really is extremely simple to get a good sound and to use this pedal. Plug in, rock forward, rock out. Simple.

pathendry88
    i brought this pedal and it sounded great but youv all put how reliable it is ive tacken mine back twice the switch keeps going 1st time i brought it it went in a week second time after being replaced it went after 2 hours i didnt stamp on it hard or nothing it just went couldnt turn it off so not reliable how embarasing would that be at a gig