GCB-95 Cry Baby review by Dunlop

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Dunlop: GCB-95 Cry Baby

Purchased from: Gear 1 Music

For a pedal that only costs $60, it's got pretty decent sound, however there are definitely far better wah pedals out there. For one, it's got a slight buzz when you push the wah forward, on the clean channel, but while Overdrive or distortion is enabled, it reeeally buzzes. As for the sound of the effect itself, it's okay at best. Sounds fine when on the clean channel. It's got a good deal of potential when playing clean. On the other hand, playing with Overdrive or distortion just sounds like crap. The sweep is already pretty thin even when playing clean but it is nearly gone when playing dirty. Not only that, but it will make your tone go straight to hell. There is also no mids to this pedal at all. It's either Treble or Bass. In the middle is pretty much neutral. Like I said above, you also can't tweak anything on this, unless you go get a mod for it. This wah comes as it is. It is a fun pedal to mess around with as long as you're playing clean. Playing with distortion is nothing but a hassle with this thing though. I've seen people say wah pedals aren't designed for distortion, yet Dunlop claims that distortion makes the experience that much better. You decide.

I've only tested this pedal on two amps, and on one guitar, but it responds pretty similar as far as I know. The guitar is a Schecter Omen 6 and the amps are a Crate GTX212, and a B-52 AT-212. This is my first wah pedal, but I have heard much better than this before. If you have your heart set on getting this, for the money, by all means go for it. Otherwise, save your money.

This is pretty durable, though it isn't true bypass, I imagine it's pretty hard to actually beat this thing up. With a pedal covering obviously. Though, this is unlike anything I've seen in my career, because the weight of it will indeed show you. About the bypass feature, if the batteries die on you, your sound doesn't go through it. It would have to be switched off, which is fine for some, but for others it's not.

This is the simplest wah pedal you can use. Press it all the way down to turn it off or on, stick a 9V battery or adaptor in it, and start rockin. It also comes with 2 Books advertising MXR pedals and several other Dunlop Crybabys, which is interesting. However, in my opinion it's just a little too easy. A lot of pedals these days you can actually tweak them, which I think is a cool feature that is missed in this, but hey, it is the original, so what do you expect?

Korzack
    [A]cetate wrote: ya i have a crybaby, it ****in rules. through my vox amp, man that sounds sweet. but, it doesnt drain batteries like you said, ive had the same battery in it for a year and a half
    I guess it's down to what kinda battery you use with it, really. Just got mine today with an SD-1, gonna leave it a few months for review, but right now, I love the sound.
    vincent214
    i have the great problem with this effect.... it doesnt change its tone whenever i step on the expression pedal pls help me.
    snm_carlin
    I own a crybaby and its very good for Tom Morello or metallica stuff but it does not get the Hendrix sound despite what it says on the box. I now own a vox and crybaby and prefer the vox. The crybaby is very harsh around the 12th fret and doesnt seem to work as good with overdrive or distortion as the vox. Listen to the crybaby and the vox on youtube or go try both in a shop before u decide on getting this.
    Storm_Bringer_
    so far as i know hendrix used a jen crybaby, company then changed to vox and the pedal was the v846